got ethical husbandry?

red sea reefer tanks - anyone got opinions?

neuro

Webmaster
I stopped by Neptune's the other day and saw their Red Sea Reefer tanks. I think it was ~$1500 for a full setup including stand and sump.

Anyone have one? Opinions?

Looking to upgrade when my unborn child moves out.

har har...

I love my 170. Wish I could have gotten the 250. It looks great, the overflow works well. I like that it lets me pick and choose my own filtration and lighting setup, but it is drilled, has a sump and plumbing ready to go. The stand doesn't look bad either.

I am in the same boat as Tskiller, I got the 170 and my only real complaint is I wish I got a bigger tank but alas the 170 fit in the car and nicely in the living room. If you are looking at the 170 and planning on a skimmer + refugium, you need to carefully plan how to fit everything in. The only thing I changed so far is that I got rid of the ATO and went with a series of float switches plugged into my Neptune and a larger external reservoir. The build quality seems good (this is my first larger tank) of both the stand and the tank, the glass is very clear and the overflow is silent once adjusted.

I am in the same boat as Tskiller, I got the 170 and my only real complaint is I wish I got a bigger tank but alas the 170 fit in the car and nicely in the living room. If you are looking at the 170 and planning on a skimmer + refugium, you need to carefully plan how to fit everything in. The only thing I changed so far is that I got rid of the ATO and went with a series of float switches plugged into my Neptune and a larger external reservoir. The build quality seems good (this is my first larger tank) of both the stand and the tank, the glass is very clear and the overflow is silent once adjusted.

do you have any pics of your setup? I also noticed that the included res was way too small. The included float switch looks a little cleaner than what I have, and doesn't look like it would cause the stray current issues that I have with mines.

do you have any pics of your setup? I also noticed that the included res was way too small. The included float switch looks a little cleaner than what I have, and doesn't look like it would cause the stray current issues that I have with mines.
Hi Neuro, I don't have a picture on hand, but it is a pretty simple set up. I have a couple of float switches that are wired into the APEX breakout box. The low water (ATO) is mounted in the hole that the original ATO float arm was mounted in and the high water safety is at the filter sock level, easily moved if I decide to run filter socks again. These in turn control a Toms aqualifter to pump water from an external reservoir. I like this approach because when I go on vacation, I can put any size reservoir I want external and keep an smaller inconspicuous one during normal weeks.

Hi Neuro, I don't have a picture on hand, but it is a pretty simple set up. I have a couple of float switches that are wired into the APEX breakout box. The low water (ATO) is mounted in the hole that the original ATO float arm was mounted in and the high water safety is at the filter sock level, easily moved if I decide to run filter socks again. These in turn control a Toms aqualifter to pump water from an external reservoir. I like this approach because when I go on vacation, I can put any size reservoir I want external and keep an smaller inconspicuous one during normal weeks.

oh good to know the LOW fits in the float arm area. How are you mounting the HIGH?

I haven't replaced my ATO yet, (plan on a tunze and a nice big 15-20 gal reservoir) but would you also mount the high in the float arm area? This is the compartment that raises and lowers as water evaporates or you add water.

oh good to know the LOW fits in the float arm area. How are you mounting the HIGH?
Hi, I only use the LOW float switch to control turning the pump on and off with the appropriate delay on and min time statements in APEX so it is not constantly on and off, but it cycles ~40-50 times a day according to the logs. The HIGH is purely a safety aspect in case the pump does not turn off due to a LOW float switch malfunction.

Hi, I only use the LOW float switch to control turning the pump on and off with the appropriate delay on and min time statements in APEX so it is not constantly on and off, but it cycles ~40-50 times a day according to the logs. The HIGH is purely a safety aspect in case the pump does not turn off due to a LOW float switch malfunction.

I understand that, but how are you mounting the HIGH? You said it's at the level at the filter sock. How is it mounted at that level?

I understand that, but how are you mounting the HIGH? You said it's at the level at the filter sock. How is it mounted at that level?

I use a piece of eggcrate with the float switch mounted in one of the squares and the ends resting where the plastic ring for the filter sock formerly sat, and secure it with a dab of superglue. It comes off easy enough if I want to remove it but secure enough that I don't worry about it. I don't use filter socks at the moment.

Last edited:
I use a piece of eggcrate with the float switch mounted in one of the squares and the ends resting where the plastic ring for the filter sock formerly sat, and secure it with a dab of superglue. It comes off easy enough if I want to remove it but secure enough that I don't worry about it. I don't use filter socks at the moment.

ahhh got it!! neat idea

Back