Our mission

Red yuma

I went today to AC and picked some nice nuclear greens and what seems Green Bay Packers then we had nothing to do so we venture to Tropical Reef on Taraval
WOW ! a huge ~3" bright deep red yuma; I thought at first it was a red carpet but the guy said yuma; man it was bright
I'm wondering if those things are worth $120 (not that I have that kind of money for a mushroom)

If someone is willing to pay $120 for it, then I guess it is to them ... though just like you I don't have $120 to drop on a single R. yuma. It does sound tasty though! So I guess it isn't worth it to me :D After all, things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them :)

They command a high price for sure, but have a low survivability rate in captivity. I've never been told a reason, but suspect it has something to do with the higher temps of our tanks.

After sinking lots of $$$ in gorgeous yumas only to see them melt in my tank, I'm pretty much done with them unless I buy them from a store/seller who's had it for >4 months.

I'm going with Gresh here. I've had some success with them in the past few months, to the point of being able to cut and propagate.

Here's one that was cut recently.
orange_yuma_060509.jpg

Jason the red I have from ATL is doing well at 7 months. I agree they need to have acclimated or been propped to make it. $80, it seemed a foolish purchase at the time with me being so new. The price has gone up since.

My second yuma, more than twice that price, pink, shrunk down to next to nothing before I passed it on to Adolfo to try his hand at revival.

They are worth the price as someone can give you history of the coral.

I had only one yuma, it was a while ago and it shrunk to the size of nothing; learned from that lesson I just don't care about getting another one but that red one OMG; then again not a good idea $$$

Yes Yumas hate being shipped. i always find them doing well when they around each other. The yumas I have have been growing for the past few years the reds are a bit difficult and they don't like temp changes much. I have about 3 reds all next to each other in a moderate to high flow area with a temp of about 76 degrees constant.

I've got a pink one and a green with orange one that has been doing great for almost a year now and they both survived the temps in my tank that fluctuated to 86 at times. my tanks temp with MH went to the highest at 86 and lowest to 78 and they did fine. My tank now has ATI powermods and the tanks temp stays at 78 constant now. So thats just my experience with them. heres a pic of my pink one.
fowlerspics205.jpg

Back