Jestersix

Redsea nitrate test

Tested my nitrate and I think my nitrate is at 0.50 ppm is that consider low? Might need to retest with another kit cause I feed like crazy. But then I have multiple blocks of marine pure, lots of siporax and seachem matrix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel like people are all over the board between what is considered the "right" level of nitrates. Used to be people aimed for zero. Now a lot of SPS heads are aiming for 5 or even higher. Some aim for simply "detectable." I know Red Sea says higher nitrates for growth and lower nitrates for color, but people report deeper colors with higher nitrates, sometimes REALLY high. So there's no good answer. I'm currently aiming for detectable, and am dosing nitrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on light levels. High light requires high nutrients. Think of it similar to planted tanks where high light you need to supplement co2.

I find with lots of light, I can run higher alk which supported by higher nutrients gives a good balance of growth and color.

It depends on light levels. High light requires high nutrients. Think of it similar to planted tanks where high light you need to supplement co2.

I find with lots of light, I can run higher alk which supported by higher nutrients gives a good balance of growth and color.

Makes sense.

So what are you aiming for in regards to nitrates and phosphates?

I've really dialed down my nopox and I think I'll remove some more siporax (already took out a marine pure block and about 1.5L of siporax). Nitrates still zero. If it starts to rise too much I can compensate by increasing nopox.

I try to hit 2-3 ppm.
It was hard for me to that just by feeding. When I started adding more fish is when I started hitting those values without any fidding with the filtration.

That brings up another point. Let's say I add new fish but feed the same amountz. Nutrients should remain the same in the water right since nothing else has changed? It's a relatively closed system (unless adding fish changes export functions of skimmer/fuge etc). So why would increasing food in this closed system not increase nutrients? I always thought increasing fish meant increasing food which would then increase nutrients. Thoughts?

Tested my nitrate and I think my nitrate is at 0.50 ppm is that consider low? Might need to retest with another kit cause I feed like crazy. But then I have multiple blocks of marine pure, lots of siporax and seachem matrix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mine tested at 120ppm, so yeah, I think .5 ppm is low.

That brings up another point. Let's say I add new fish but feed the same amountz. Nutrients should remain the same in the water right since nothing else has changed? It's a relatively closed system (unless adding fish changes export functions of skimmer/fuge etc). So why would increasing food in this closed system not increase nutrients? I always thought increasing fish meant increasing food which would then increase nutrients. Thoughts?

I would agree.

Back