High Tide Aquatics

Reef Brite LED's

There wasn't a consensus on the growth of LED vs. T5. Jake said he's had successful SPS growth in an LED tank. From my experience, I have T5 and a reefbrite 24" strip (blue). The PAR of an ATI blue + is around 2-3 times more than the reefbrite. With that being said, it's not an apples-apples comparison as the LED has a different look & spectrum than blue +. An actinic T5 and reefbrite LED are comparable.
The LED blues are royal and regular blue, each is a little different and each LED fixture has different combos, i.e. white & blue mix. some have different colors. The meat of the talk can't be summarized as so much was covered. My takeaway is what it boils down to is LED has a lot of options and types of fixtures, you can't easily lump all LEDs together and categorize them. Jake felt strongly that the future of reef lighting was LEDs and MH & T5 are on the path to obsolescence. Hope we're not derailing the thread too much. I'm looking forward to getting Reefbrites in a BAR LFS.

Tumbleweed said:
I think Gresham was just mentioning that they would be there and after BAYMAC some local stores will be carrying them.
Gresham will they being bringing strips to sell at BAYMAC?

It is not in the best interest of a company that's main stay is selling via LFS to sell at shows where they have a local presence of want to have one (it's like shooting yourself in the foot three times prior to running a marathon). I doubt Reef Brite will be selling, but I don't doubt another company like Neptune's will have some for sale ;) They (companies) usually offer local dealers better pricing so they can put them on sale.

BAYMAC is broken up into 3 categories... Coral Vendors (people selling stuff), Exhibitors (just showing off their stuff) and Club Frag sales. That should help you better understand who will be selling and who most likely won't.

Ah gotha, one particular vendor offered to sell me something at a previous BAYMAC (don't want to get said vendor in trouble if that wasn't allowed), so I assumed that it was what other vendors did as well. But I guess yeah if you actually are in the business of selling only to LFS (i.e. Aquavitro type products) then you'd be more interested in showcasing. However if you sell primarily online I don't think that would be much of an issue.

Mike, some do, and it's not against the rules :) Most don't though.

Hi Guys,

This is the order we placed:

1) PM48-B (48" BLUE) - 6X
2) PM48-50/50 (48" 50/50) - 2X
3) PM48-W (48" WHITE) - 2X
4)) PM36-B (36" BLUE) - 2X
5) PM24-B (24" BLUE) - 2X
6) MM2-W (MINI WHITE) - 3X

We're still waiting on final confirmation with invoicing so once we determine our final cost (shipping cost, etc), we will post your pricing here and then we can start taking pre-payment.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to hold without pre-payment due to an extremely high demand and very limited supply. We hope you understand. Our order was back-logged for over two months!

Robert/Cerissa

Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with them and my order are on their way! Unfortunately, this is all that's coming in for this week:

1) PM48-B - 2X ($245)
2) PM36-B - 2X ($225)
3) PM24-B - 2X ($200)
4) MM2-W - 2X ($65)

The remaining of the order will be coming in next week.

Jess...your PM is replied.

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks for the info. They looked great in the LFS, but glad to hear that in actual use you are growing corals. My new tank is 36" wide. I purchased 1 36" full white strip, but i think it may not actually fit in my canopy. I will probably go with 30"s. I think 2 whites, one 50/50, an one blue shoudl be good. Or 1 of each if I want to save a couple of hundred $$

Any thoughts?

depends on what u want 10k,14/15k/20ishk????

what you have listed above might be pretty white.... im on heavy blue side 20k im running 4 all blue 2 all white

The tank I'm upgrading FROM is lit with a typical CoralLife power compact system. It has one blue tube, one white tube - 65W each. My corals (Elegance, leather, and some Zoanthid polyps) have been growing quite nicely under these. I'm going LED on the new 45g tank. In terms of color, the powercompact system I have is pleasing in color, though a tad bluer would be pretty, as long as it doesn't hurt the coral growth.

Also, is there a good device I could buy to periodically check the light output of the LEDs? With the PC, I simply replace them every 6 or 8 months. I know the LEDs should last a lot longer, but this is new technology, so it might make sense to keep an eye on it.

Back