Reef Chowder Event

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by seminolecpa, Jul 25, 2010.

1. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

3rd time in less then a year. Looks like I will have some black footed trochus again soon.

Damn those things can cloud up a 180g tank pretty quickly. Sorry missed some of the better stuff as I found out the video camera was low on batteries. felt like I should have put on some Barry White and dimmed the lights.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mreCEXbmk

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eY-zByvifY

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Sy0Sh0kr0

How do you embed these things?

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

[youtube]g_mreCEXbmk[/youtube]

[youtube]1eY-zByvifY[/youtube]

[youtube]M4Sy0Sh0kr0[/youtube]

3. seminolecpa

Gracias. They are still at it if you would believe it. The wrasses are going nuts.

4. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Cool vids. I know I want some when the babies become available.

5. bookfish

bookfish Guest

Mine spawned the other night and my friends spawned yesterday. Coincidence?

6. seminolecpa

Lunar cycle maybe?

7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

It is currently a full moon...

8. DurTBear

DurTBear Guest

Cool videos. I know mine spawned a while ago but I never saw any surviving snails.

9. seminolecpa

I definately had lots of survivors last time. In fact I recall seeing them in my frag tank, sump and fuge. Apparantely they moved with the water.

10. sfsuphysics

ok truth me told you concoct these "events" so you can get rid of fish/corals your wife likes by saying they died.

11. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

BRILLIANT!

12. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

My snails are laying eggs like crazy too. My nassarius, and cerith snails have been leaving their zigzag eggs all over my glass. My stomatellas are also spewing their eggs and the babies come out from the woodworks at night. My buddy in SD also said his snails are laying eggs and might because of the moon....

13. sfsuphysics

Ok I think some snails in my tank heard me playing the videos and got inspired too...

I'm not exactly sure of a reef chowder event, but my return pump seized (I think the shaft is just too calcified), so all the water stayed in my sump... my skimmer overflowed (no water on the floor mind you), but the water was all super cloudy.. excess bubbles? precipitation of snail chowder? I dunno.. tossed a maxi jet as a replacement while my impeller soaks in vinegar, and my main tank is cloudy as all hell but we'll see.

14. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

My buddy with a 55 says he has baby snails. I haven't seen anything but the pic below. He has 80lbs of live rock some trochus and not much else, just a canister filter. His wrasse jumped out of a 2in hole in the hood. Any proof in this pudding?

Very bad pic taken with a cell phone, baby snail is riding on the back.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/gwalls/Reef#5499811397389055826

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Looks more like an astrea or a PI trochus.... his tank is set-up perfect for breeding trochus though. I suspect he's correct, well, unless they are collinista snails.

probably breeding trochus though, I bet Jim would take them in trade at GM :D

16. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

Whats a PI trochus? Ya, I have been trying to get him to not change his setup so as to encourage the breeding of snails! I just don't believe it would happen this fast, so I agree its doubtful it is a baby that has been spawned in the tank.

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

One from the Philippines... sorry, I tend to use country acronyms for MO export countries.

[​IMG]

it can happen rather fast. A friend of mine just found some babies in his tank and he's only had the trochus in there for a couple months tops.