High Tide Aquatics

Reef Hobbyist 29g

Your parameters look pretty good. Why do you want to dose two part?
Not sure, I assumed the 2-part dosing is common for all systems?

The instructions say dose everyday?? Aren't these good for coral? (Or is it only to bring up params if they are unstable?)

Not sure, I assumed the 2-part dosing is common for all systems?

The instructions say dose everyday?? Aren't these good for coral? (Or is it only to bring up params if they are unstable?)

It's more a function of uptake. With just a little life in the tank you might not need any dosing YET. Water changes might be enough to maintain levels.

As the tank gets more life, especially SPS and clams, there will need to be Ca and Alk additions. What you have will work fine for that.

Test and add as necessary. Don't add just because the box says so! ;)

If your going to keep SPS or clams as John mentioned..........2 part will eventually be required to maintain a stable Alk and keep a good calcium level. I'm not sure how much, or what you are testing, however if I can give you a tip I have learned..............test Alk every day, until you can understand what kind of swings your tank will have.

for example...........For the first year, my tank could easily drop over a point in DKH a day. It could be 8.5 one day, and the next day it would be 7.0. Once the Alk get's below 7, it can drop even faster. This is what will kill your coral. I was in the habbit of checking the alk every day for months. I learned that a water change usually brought DOWN my alk, instead of my assumed "correcting" it. This can depend on what salt you use, however Ihave used several brands, and if you let the salt mix for a day, or two like I do. The Alk often drops to 7, and sometimes lower in the new water. If you can't fathom checking it daily for awhile, at least check it right before a water change, and right after, so you can bring it back to what it was.

Once I realized how wildly the Alk could fluctuate, I decided to try a Kalkwasser reactor. This was a bit tricky to understand, and get the hang of, however it stabalized the Alk, and I saw INSTANT results from it. This inspired me to get a doser and I started using 2 part. It is difficult to be consistent when dosing by hand (it's easy to get busy and forget.......often dosing at different times of the day, etc) so I invested in a dosing pump. Totally worth it.

Anyway.....Blah, blah. You get the idea. You do need to check Calcium, and Mag once in awhile......just to have an idea of where it is. Obviously too low will need to be fixed, but too high never seemed to harm anything. Most of what I have read seems to feel that being in the sweet spot with calcium will yield the best results, so I do my best to keep it around 420-450.

That was probably a little over kill. Good luck.

Did a water change today and here's test results after:

Sal 1.025
Temp 79

Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Alk 8.2
Cal 460
Mag 1600

Mag seems high to be but I read people going even higher to stay away from algae?

Any ways if reducing Mag?

The BH-100 is getting better everyday...

e9u6ure6.jpg

Forgot to mention pH was 8 this time (tested right after lights went on, so I'm guessing it goes up later in the day.

Toys drying after the tests :)
mady6a2y.jpg

Last edited:
Realized that I haven't posted my recent coral additions. Here are a few:

Favia
tumblr_inline_n56puvxhHC1sc62k6.jpg

Snowflake Polyp Toadstool Leather & Tyree Neon Green Polyp Toadstool
tumblr_inline_n56pvavOzs1sc62k6.jpg

Pink Boobie Chalice
tumblr_inline_n572gngiCg1sc62k6.jpg

Oregon Mummy Chalice
tumblr_inline_n572iuE3TP1sc62k6.jpg

Get the Hanna. I'm not a fan of the hobbyist titration kits for it as there's can be lots of error in the measurement. Hanna has done me very well and is worth the investment!

well... test per test after the initial purchase of the tester comes to $20 per year vs $17.5 per year (assuming 50 tests per year) I think you can afford the $2.50 difference if you're planning to get into the hobby.

Back