Reef Hobbyist 29g

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Nav, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Spoon

Spoon Guest

Yeah I was joking! I've gotten my water tested once at Reef Raft once I think.

2. Hondo

Hondo Guest

Navdeep,

The new corals are very nice.

Where did you acquire your newest corals from, particularly the leather corals?

3. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Thanks. I got it from a reefer in San Jose.

4. Marc

Marc Guest

My reef tank me me PO' lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

If you are going spend the dough for a phosphate tester, I suggest getting
    the Hanna ultra low range HI736.
    Tank phosphates need to be on the really low end, and the regular one is not that accurate in that range.
    About the same price.
    Although you do have to multiply by 3.066/1000.

6. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

As a side note: Fancy testing beyond Alk/Calcium might be overkill for a 29G system
    unless you start to see problems. Just do a few extra water changes.

7. brleong

brleong Supporting Member

He also has a 40g.

Nav likes this.
  8. Nav

I've been doing some reading on the phosphate test kits and somehow feel the $50 on the Hanna device can instead be used on a GFO reactor ;)

So debating between Seachem, Salifert, Red Sea & Elos. Any recommendations?

9. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I have 2 30 gallon systems and I do not test phosphate on either one of them. Its usually pretty easy to tell by the health of the corals and nuisance algae in the tank if phosphate is becoming an issue. With small systems you can just do water changes to easily keep phosphates low. Just keep up with your tank maintenance and water change schedule and you should be fine. Also, you can add a media reactor with GFO if you seem like you're having issues. I honestly don't see any need to buy an expensive Hanna Checker.

Drippy_fetus and Nav like this.
  10. Nav

After 20min of chasing around these things with my Nikon I finally got some macro shots and I’m guessing they’re Copepods?

They’re smaller than a millimeter and I see a lot of these guys running around the glass…

I used my 105mm f2.8 Macro lens 1:1 to capture them…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although my question is how could they get into my tank? I never have purchased & added any pods (but was planning to).

11. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Looks like pods of some kind. They could hitch on live rock or corals. Doesn't take many to get a small population going.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aquatic mouse and Nav like this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Guest

They are copepods..and they are desirable. I have them also crawling all over my glass. They will end up populating your sand and rocks.

It's funny how I even got these..I used dry rock and dipped all frags. Hmmm.

Here's a helpful link - http://www.melevsreef.com/critter-id

Nav likes this.
  13. Nav

Spotted these things sticking on my Frogspawn’s stem and zoa rock today & it looks like they are Pineapple sponges which are part of any new system.

They’re filter feeders (good for the tank), and are supposed to disappear eventually as the system matures (got this info from external sources).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nav

Current tank params:

Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 12.38.45 PM.png

15. Spoon

Spoon Guest

Nice params. And I like the colors your rock is changing! Pretty zoas too!

Nav likes this.
  16. Nav

Noticed a few of these guys on my LR today. They’re like 10mm and got this webby structure.

Looks like they are tube worms (like feather dusters) and supposed to be good for the tank, and a sign of good water params I heard...

[​IMG]

17. Nav

This is the first time I’ve ever seen a snail doing something like this… My guess was some kind of snail poop but turns out that its SPAWNING (releasing sperm/eggs).

Good thing is I got only 1 margarita, 2 asterias & a turbo, so no expecting babies for now ;)

18. Marc

Marc Guest

My snails were doing the same thing at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

19. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

I think trochus snail are good choice of snail. they can flip over when the fall unlike astrae snail or mexican turbos. trochus that i have dont knock over coral.

Nav likes this.
  20. Nav

New addition: Mystic Sunset Monti, Thanks to Alfred (@neuro)

[​IMG]

neuro, denzil and Geneva like this.