Reef Hobbyist 40B

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Nav, May 12, 2014.

1. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'm liking this post out of empathy - I still do this sometimes and now empty the collection cup when it's 1/4 full or so just to avoid this kind of issue.

I tied the Skimmer power to the return pump power to try and avoid this - this turns off the skimmer via the controller whenever the return shuts off. However, I still run into water level issues some times between water changes, the ATO, and other components.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Nav and jonmos75 like this.
  2. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Wuhoo, I finally decided on lighting and ended up going with 2 AI Hydra 26s and the new AI Wireless Controller :)
    [​IMG]
    Here’s why I decided:

AI 52 - Single unit cant cover a 36″
    Radion - Expensive and still a single on cant cover a 36″
    2 Kessils - Awesome but expensive ($800)

2 AI 26 - Perfect! I can place them apart to control spread, super bright, costs lesser than 2 kessils, wireless control, etc.

I love the colors coming out of this one. As a first time AI user, I have to say setup just took me couple of minutes. Being used to mechanical timers on lighting, its beautiful to see these ramping up/down, climate/lightning, coral acclimation, etc. Hung them 9″ above water and 8.5″ apart. The only thing I miss is the Kessil shimmer but I guess I'll just have to get used to this...

3. Nav

Being cautious not to cook any coral coral, I’m starting out with super low values and planning to increment 5-10% every week. Here are the current values…

values.png

wpeterson and Vhuang168 like this.
  4. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

You can set what you want to be at then set an acclimation ramp for whatever period of time you want at the % increase that you want.

Here is a thread on RC on the settings people use on AI Hydras. It is over 100+ pages but start at the last 10 or so as it started when AI released the orginal Hydras. The last pages are on the 52/26 lights.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307040

5. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I think you made the right decision, Nav! I'm also sure you will be pleased with your shimmer once you get the lights and flow dialed in! Just be patient and go slowly!!

Nav and jonmos75 like this.
  6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Those are some nice lights! Congrats Nav!

I wish my kessil controller was working :(

Nav likes this.
  7. Nav

Again today I saw my emerald crab hanging upside down and its a molt! It was one whole piece, its amazing how they can leave a shell without taking it apart ;)

emerald.jpg

8. Nav

Also after reading a lot of threads on AI 26 settings, I decided on an end state, set values & running coral acclimation mode for 30 days so its ramping up every day :) I love it!

latest_led.jpg

Geneva and jonmos75 like this.
  9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

If you look carefully at the molt, you'll see the hing where the exoskeleton opened up and the crab backed out. For the emerald crab, I think it's usually on the belly near the back.

Nav likes this.
  10. Nav

[​IMG]

After looking into different options to mount my new LEDs, I went the simple DIY route. Got 2 solid steel rods from Lowes thick enough to slide through the last baffle, cut to size, hung it and simply slid the LEDs fixtures from the side. Its 10″ above water level and looks pretty neat :)

11. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Hey nav! Im getting a 20 gallon tank IM Nuvo to be exact.

How hard was it to build the stand? How Much did it cost to build the stand?

My stand will cost 200$

12. Nav

Michael, I didn't build my stand, it came with the used tank I got (look at the first post in this thread).

13. Nav

Here's a full tank shot from today. A lot has changed since the last FTS! Starting off with acans melting around Nov 2014 to recently acros STNing, it feels like my tank is recovering from a total crash! Most coral are happy with the new lights... other than the hammer, duncan & rock flower which look like they're adjusting slowly...

Sorry the photo is more blue (20% white, 90% blues)

[​IMG]

And here's a far shot of the whole setup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    neuro and Geneva like this.
  14. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

The fish will appreciate that auto feeder!
    A hungry fish is an angry fish

15. bigdeeezy

bigdeeezy Guest

nice build! im starting my 40b as well and hopefully it comes out something like this :)

Nav likes this.
  16. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Looking pretty nice. Now leave it be and don't make any changes!

bluprntguy, denzil, aqua-nut and 4 others like this.
  17. Nav

Vhuang168, Geneva and jonmos75 like this.
  18. euod

euod Supporting Member

19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

That bowerbanki GLOWS in person. So bright.

Nice light fixture set up Nav! Looks good.

Nav likes this.
  20. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

Lights look great!

Nav likes this.