Reef nutrition

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Okay just saw the big one that I tried sucking out yesterday! Its like 2"... notice another baby in the left bottom. That makes it 3 babies & 1 adult I've seen so far, all on the cheato. I checked very closely yesterday in my DT and didn't find any such thing...

I'm thinking to toss out the cheato and maybe use the cheato chamber for a second UAS.

big_sm.jpg

This weekend I decided to toss all cheato I had cos the 4 digitate hydroids I saw, didn't want it to spread to the DT and freak out later... I also didn't want to lose the micro life in the fuge so I took all cheato out, spent a very long time pulling out every possible micro brittle star in a container and finally let them all settle on sand when it was dark.

I’m only hoping they found good hiding spots and get a chance to multiply before fishes or inverts endanger them.

Got my Jebao RW-4 today from Amazon. Ran it in vinegar for 4 hrs and set it up on the other side of the WP-10 and with both at 100%, its a sandstorm :)

The RW-4 looks much nicer than the WP-10 and the controller is better too. What I hate is the speed can't be controlled in the W2 or Else modes!

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

After losing my emerald & blue hermit crab, yesterday I picked up a nice zebra hermit from CaReefCo. He's mostly black, big, active and has a bigger left claw...

tumblr_ntvsne44hY1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Hey Nav how do you find the wave pattern of the rw-4 compared to a wp10? I have to wp10s in my tank but feel they've got too narrow a flow pattern for how small my tank is.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lately I've had red/black (and less) growth on the ATS. Made couple of changes & its more greener now.
  • Screen width is now 4″ (from 6″)
  • Increased flow
  • Light cycle changed from 18hrs to 6hrs on & 6hrs off (two cycles a day)
ATS.jpg

Biggest lesson was the LEDs were burning the screen running 18hrs on. I found out the 18hrs is for CFLs and 6-8hrs for LEDs...

I really had a great time at the regional swap. This time I picked for both myself & @Geneva, out of everything we got she just took a zoa colony and was very generous and let me have the rest of it. Out of that I picked a few that I liked & gave a few to @Vhuang168 :)

Here's what I scored...

Space Invader Pectinia (my fav!)
space-invader-pectinia.jpg

Acan Echinata
acan-enchinata.jpg

Tricolor Acro
tricolor.jpg

War Coral
war coral.JPG

SunnnyD Zoa (this fag was in bad shape, so I had to selectively move the good heads... hoping the other 2 heads open up)
sunnyD-zoa.jpg

... and the Aquatic Collection Rainbow Chalice I won in the raffle :cool: (if someone knows the specific name, pls let me know)
rainbow-chalice.jpg

At the frag swap, @Geneva & I were talking about this leather toadstool I had... its white/grey and got a slight neon-green-ish head (the part you see when the polyps are closed) & the polyps themselves have that same green-ish stem and the tips are again white/grey. I got them from a local reefer and he said its called a "Snowflake Leather Toadstool", I'm not sure if its common or rare but I've never seen them in other tanks...

In the smaller pic (left-bottom) you'll see it better when I got him as a baby, like 1.5" head & 2" stem... now he's like 3.5" head & a 5" stem, very fluffy (sorry current pic was taken in low light)

snow_sm_01.jpg

Here's a little closeup of the polyps...
snow_sm_o2.jpg

Last week I saw an aptasia looking thing on my LR and on close inspection it was this guys baby ;) Its super tiny and has 4 polyps... today I stuck it on a frag plug hoping he gets big & I want to DBTC him (first one reserved for @Geneva).

If any of you have info on this, pls share...

WOW! I never thought i would see one of my tanks again haha. Excellent build, I'm a bit jealous that this build came out waaaayyy better than when I had it.

Top down shots...

2 head baby hammer & my hot pink rock flower
tumblr_nt7nxvwBrw1tbt0zro2_1280.jpg

My long spine urchin, grew form 2-3" to now 7-8" end-end! I'm having to be super careful with this guy around... rubbed my hand accidentally over his spines a few times but not pricked! ...and the happy mini Duncan colony :)
tumblr_nt7nxvwBrw1tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Back