Reef nutrition

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Haha even with 8 outlets on the EB8 strip, you quickly run out of outlets fast and have to prioritize what you want the apex to control.

I've got my fuge light on a 5$ light timer. Kessils plugged onto a separate power strip too.

There are a lot of times where I say "My next tank build will have......." in this case my next one will have a second EB8.

Reactions: Nav
Okay, its been close to 10 days reporting the LPS melting episode and I'm going to conclude that the INTERCEPTOR TREATMENT WORKED :) All the infected ones that were receding stopped right after the treatment, I can see flesh growing back on a few pieces and no new coral showed signs of stress or receding. So here's some info on my treatment:

LPS / SPS Interceptor Treatment - Red, Black, Invisible Bugs
tumblr_inline_nw891xLku51sc62k6_1280.jpg

@RavenSF was very generous to give me a few tabs of the Interceptor Spectrum (Tasty Chews) for Small Dogs. The most common ones are the large ones which are white & for large dogs.

tumblr_inline_nw892tlKfq1sc62k6_1280.jpg

The big ones have 23mg of Milbemycin oxime + 228mg of Praziquantel & is good to great 380gals of water. The green one I got came with 5.75mg of Milbemycin oxime good for 95gal.
tumblr_inline_nw8937mvhN1sc62k6_1280.jpg

I split the tablet in half which will make it good for 47gals (my entire water volume). Made it to a nice power by just jamming it with a spoon.
tumblr_inline_nw893ufwj81sc62k6_1280.jpg

Next I heated 200ml of RODI water in the microwave for 90sec and added the powder to the water & stirred well. Powdering & hot water are important for the chewy tab to dissolve well.
tumblr_inline_nw894dAr7I1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Keep stirring and let the water cool and you’ll have something like this. Try to get this back to your tank temp.
tumblr_inline_nw894ncGcx1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Now to the most important part…
  • Inverts: Removing crabs is a must. Snails are optional (some have had luck with snails, some have lost them but I removed the big ones. Also left my long spine urchin in the DT
  • Skimmer: Turn off your skimmer for the 6hr period
  • Filter Media: Remove all GAC, GFO, Phosguard, Purigen, etc. for the 6hr period.
tumblr_inline_nw89591xnc1sc62k6_1280.jpg

Finally poured the interceptor solution (11:30pm) over the powerhead so it stirs well & let it do its job for the next 6-7hrs. Make sure you have fresh saltwater mixed and ready to go (30-50% of your water volume).

Woke up next morning (after 6hrs), everything looked good… fishes, coral (no RTNs), my long spine urchin, small snails, etc. were all alive and happy. Went ahead and did the first 35% water change, got the skimmer & GFO reactor running again, added 2x new GAC.

Later that day I did a second 35% PWC and added the snails & crabs back to the DT. Its been over week now and every coral looks healthy… no more melting! I’m so happy I did this and going to advise this treatment to anyone as a last resort if they can’t get their LPS to stop dying.

I'm glad to hear your LPS are doing better. It'd be cool if you siphoned out some of the mucus around the receding corals, you could have brought it over and we could take a look at it under a microscope to see if we could spot some critters.

Let me know how things are going in a week or two, I'm hopeful that this is a long term resolution.

Let me know how things are going in a week or two, I'm hopeful that this is a long term resolution.
Maybe not :( Came home today and saw two other LPS showing some skeleton! Params are perfect! I even moved all crabs to the sump a few days ago... Either my treatment was not strong enough or there's something I'm missing!

I recall a few of those posts suggesting a second treatment after a week cos it might not wipe out all bugs in one shot. Now I just did a double dose of interceptor and letting it run for another 6hrs followed by 15gal PWC followed by another 15gal PWC after 6hrs. Hope this stops the receding for good and things get back to normal. I'll report results.

IMG_3951.png

On the good side, I got my Jebao DCT-6000 return pump and set it up yesterday. Man its super powerful! The lowest setting at 1 doesn't seem to push 1/10th of its max speed... does anybody know how many gph is the lowest setting? Currently running at 4 and I hear some gargling sound in my plumbing (which did't happen on my previous pump). If I go higher, I'm having a waterfall sound in the overflow box after water goes through the teeth, maybe its not meant to handle so much flow?

IMG_3952.JPG

... The lowest setting at 1 doesn't seem to push 1/10th of its max speed... does anybody know how many gph is the lowest setting? ...
Definitely not linear for me either.

There is a trick to measure it, if you have tank space:
Put a nice clean thin plastic trash bag in your tank. Squish all air and water out.
Then quickly put the opening over the return line.
Time how long it takes to mostly fill up. Don't fill it quite all the way.
Clench the top, lift that up slightly, and pour into a measuring cup. Likely pouring many times.
Convert cups/second to gallons per hour.
A good idea to do it twice. Should be pretty similar.

The key benefit: It is the REAL value, already including head pressure, plumbing, and so on.

Reactions: Nav
What kind of drain do you have? It looks like you have a Herbie.

Theres an effective max flow through your overflow weir and through your drain. When the drain flow is greater than overflow incoming through weir, the water level in the overflow drops and produces splashing noise. If the overflow flow rate exceeds the main drain rate, you'll get noise from the emergency drain gurgling.

When i turn up my return rate, I adjust the gate valve on my main drain to match the return flow. If you get it right the overflow chamber level is constant without noise. This is for a herbie setup, but similar for bean animal.

Last edited:
Its been a while updating my journal... everything is stable, no casualties! SPS frags showing some good growth and good PE :)

My snowflake leather toadstool has been tearing itself into smaller pieces so will have a new DBTC soon.

Here's a FTS from Nov 29... will try to take another one soon.

FTS.png

Curious : Which LPS were melting before you tried interceptor?
My Hammer coral, which were growing like crazy and nearly indestructible
are now all showing signs of problems.

Curious : Which LPS were melting before you tried interceptor?
My Hammer coral, which were growing like crazy and nearly indestructible
are now all showing signs of problems.
Trumpet (survived - right above duncan), Tangerine Dreams Chalice (survived - front center), Red Bower (survived - front center), Rainbow Chalice (lost).

Oooh really nice pictures Nav.

Whats the lens/set up/tripod?

Dude my pectinia is growing so fast. Been feeding it LRS. I have like 4 new eyes on it.
Sweet! I haven't fed my coral in 2 months now :(

There's pics are shot with a Nikon D80 105mm macro and a brown lens filter, no tripod.

Back