Neptune Aquatics

Reef Hobbyist 40B

I'm gonna try and make it to more events but recently with all the drs and pt I just haven't been able to manage. Not sure if I'll be able to do the next two events or not due to the days they fall on. Gonna try for at least one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nav - everything looks great but you are just too organized and perfect - LOL - just kidding.....are your rocks glued together to form the tunnels / arches or can they be moved? Is your smaller tank now gone?

Visited Diablo Corals for their first coral auction and got some lovely coral. It was my first time there and Jess was real helpful with everything.

Here are some macro shots…

Arctic Ice Acan
tumblr_inline_n9ec7gYUZp1sc62k6.jpg

Unnamed (I think Fire & Ice)
tumblr_inline_n9ecbblrXx1sc62k6.jpg

Blue Crush Acan (its a Rainbow)
tumblr_inline_n9ecbuH1mo1sc62k6.jpg

Unnamed (I call it the Big Boy cos of its large polyps)
tumblr_inline_n9eccbDxPV1sc62k6.jpg

Pink Passion Zoa
tumblr_inline_n9eccs3MuI1sc62k6.jpg

Here’s how I have them lined up under my A350, its on the border of my cave’s shadow…

tumblr_inline_n9eceqZ8ja1sc62k6.jpg

Here's my first rock flower anemone from the group buy. I got a nice bright pink one.

tumblr_inline_n9at35s9MV1sc62k6.jpg

Thanks to Felicia for organizing the whole group buy, packing & distributing them.

When I got it home, I slowly massaged the foot to get it out and let it sit on the lid for 30secs, took it upside-down and gently placed & held it on an island rock. Within 10 seconds it attached and opened up in a few min.

tumblr_inline_n9at9ie96M1sc62k6.jpg

I was just hoping that it wouldn’t walk around to find a better spot and in the morning I saw it happy in the exact same place. I fed it 3 pieces of frozen mysis shrimp and it happily gobbled it in. Here’s a 30min time-lapse of the feeding…

Added ChemiPure Elite 11.74 oz bag to my sump yesterday. I don't have a media reactor yet so I hung it right below the overflow drain so there's good water hitting it.

Also dosed Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium (dry) to bring up my Mag from 1180ppm to 1360ppm.

Next I'm switching from Kent Salt to RedSea Coral Pro which is arriving today...

100ml of Purigen was added to my sump a month ago and here’s how it looked today… My Nitrates are undetectable (via API Test)

Added a new bag today & soaking the used one in 1:1 Water:Bleach for 24hrs so I can re-use it for the next cycle.

tumblr_inline_n9vbvtq8Ch1sc62k6.jpg

Recent research on ways to keep algae under control pointed me to algae scrubbers. Looked into a few videos & articles and I decided to give it a try.

I decided to have it sit over the refugium and gravity feed it via my emergency/second drain (herbie style). Picked up pipes & connectors from Lowes, a canvas from Joann & some zip ties… I made sure it has a screwing system so I could easily detach just the scrubber to clean it every week.

For the lights, I started with a 4k LED work light facing the front for few days…

tumblr_inline_nac1mzApyK1sc62k6.jpg

Week 1 just had a lot of fish poop/brown dirt collect (no algae).
tumblr_inline_nac1wfb1n51sc62k6.jpg

Then added a second hanging 2700k CFL hanging backlight and ran it until the end of second week.
tumblr_inline_nac1or4M9k1sc62k6.jpg

Saw pretty good growth of green hair algae by mid second week. I decided to then swap the 4k LED with another 2700k CFL 2 days ago.

Today I removed the scrubber to clean it and here’s the crap that grew in just a week. I’ll report back next week to see if I see similar or more growth.
tumblr_inline_nafh0lFqFx1sc62k6.jpg
tumblr_inline_nafh0vO1cs1sc62k6.jpg

I also got some good advise from @brleong as I was setting things up (he has an ATS too).

Got a Diamond Goby from ReefRaft last weekend. He’s been digging around making burrows all over… water got a little milky for few days but looks like he’s found places to sleep and now peacefully gobbling & cleaning sand around.

tumblr_inline_nagp5ttyKP1sc62k6.jpg

My biggest concern is the coral sitting on my sand bed (acans, zoas, chalices, possibly plate coral in future, etc.)

tumblr_inline_nagp6f32ql1sc62k6.jpg

Nav - great pictures - Mr. Goby looks like he's posing (and he is not at all like @FeliciaLynn 's Mr. Grumpy!)

Not sure what you are feeding your fish but Joe (from Aquatic Collections) told me that gobies can actually get skinny and starve to death after they've cleaned all the sand and there is not enough food so I bought sinking pellets and my goby gobbles them up. I wouldn't worry too much about your corals on the sand. Initially, he'll probably go all around and maybe try to go under and maybe spit sand all over them but he will stop after awhile hopefully as mine did ! (although I did put my plate coral on a flat rock so it wouldn't get buried all the time!)

What intensity do you have your kessils at? Example: 50% Blue 25%white for 8 hours a day

Do you change your settings or is it constant throughout the day?

Back