got ethical husbandry?

Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 5000EXT External Protein Skimmer

Well, my little external HOB skimmer died on my 40 breeder. Instead of buying another small skimmer for this tank and since I'm setting up my 180 in a few months thinking of getting a external skimmer to have on the tiny tank as temp. I really don;t want to toss money away on this 40 gallon. So thinking of the "Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 5000EXT External Protein Skimmer " I know it's beast on the 40, but think it should do nicely on my 180.

1. Is this a good skimmer?

2. Would you recommend another one over this one?

3. Can a skimmer be too big and hurt the livestock on my 40 gallon even if it's a temp solution?

4. Are there disadvantages of externals verse internal skimmers?

images

You don't have to worry about water level with an external so that should mean they are more stable but I've never used one.

I installed one about six months ago, its a great skimmer!

Installing it on a 40 gallon, might work if you ran it once a week or something? Otherwise it would be way to much.

Pros and Cons of external VS internal

Internal Skimmer: Saves on space but transfers heat into tank temp. Easier install plus if it leaks theres no problem :/

External Skimmer: Takes up more space, no heat transfer into tank temp, also a little harder to set-up depending on your sump.

Back