Reef setup wanted

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Edgar Sandoval, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

I have a friend looking for a complete reef setup. 40 to 65 gallons. Let me know if any of u have anything available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

You'll find one on Craigslist pretty quickly

reef_2005 likes this.
  3. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric)

@Edgar Sandoval
    I have a few systems and equipment that I would let go very cheaply:
    100 gal acrylic with Pecan stand, hood w/ 50/50 actinics, sump
    60 gal glass cube with stand, glass top, sump, all supporting equipment
    45 gal corner tank with red oak stand and LED hood. This is a partial build that needs to be assembled and varnished.
    PM me if any of these sound interesting.

4. ddrueckh

ddrueckh Guest

I have a 60 cube that I will be posting for sale soon. Has a stand, eshopps sump, eshopps S120 cone skimmer, heaters, BRS dosers, BRS Alk and CA and eheim compact 3000 return pump.

5. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Funny, I had my 58G setup for sale cheap, and nobody wanted it. I got tired of trying to sell it and gave it away for free.

V

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

It's all about getting connected to the right buyer at the right time.

7. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

Was that a 58gal. Oceanic?
    Those are classics & built like tanks. (not fish tanks, Military tanks)

8. revnull

revnull Supporting Member

Maybe larger than you are looking for, but I have a 90 gallon drilled glass tank and stand for sale. You can see it in my build thread in my signature.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

10. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Yes Still looking. It's for one of my nephews. He prefers rimless

11. ddrueckh

ddrueckh Guest

My 60 cube is rimless...

12. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I think @neuro still has his tank for sale too! Really good price for what you are getting.

13. alvin chiao

alvin chiao Supporting Member

haha vince that was me! still sitting in my garage but hopefully i will get around to setting it up in the next few months. I was too busy the last 2 years trying to pass the CPA exam... all passed now and ready to reef!

14. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Cool! When u are ready let me know, I'll have some frags for u!

Newjack likes this.
  15. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

So... how do I deduct reefing cost from my tax ....

16. alvin chiao

haha will do vince!

roostertech, ive been thinking about this a lot. twice now i've went to merchants who were running fish tanks out of their garage, and i inquired about how they were deducting their expenses. most of these im guessing are sole proprietorships so income and expenses would be reported on schedule C. there you have your gross receipts and then your expenses (equipment depreciation, utilities, office expense, etc.) . schedule C goes to ur 1040, where it will be taxed as regular income at your tax rate.

your loss if you have any is most likely limited because your investment is not at risk (you still have your fish tank equipment).

for hobbyists, i'm not too sure. it comes down to intent. if you have the intent to be a hobbyist, make a few extra bucks on the side, then most likely it is not a business activity...

yea, hopefully i can delve into this area deeper, and i am glad to talk to you further about this! sorry for hijacking thread...

vince i also have some questions i might be sending your way... looking for a sump that will fit in the stand...

17. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Umm, this would be a great thread on its own. So how many frags do I have to sell to be able to deduct my tank expenses :). Where do you draw the line between a hobbyist and a merchant?

18. alvin chiao

you must be profitable 3 out of 5 years while doing the hobby (most likely, hobbyists are not profitable im guessing), OR your intent (the manner in which u sell the frags, is it like a business? do u expect to make money in the future?)

if you are just a hobbyist, which you most likely are, then you can still deduct expenses, but only up to the amount of money you make on the hobby. this assumes you itemize your deductions and would show up on your schedule A.

so say you sell 1000 worth of frags this year. and you work a great salaried job normally, then you will probably be able to deduct 1000 dollars worth of expenses if you itemize.

disclaimer: please take what i say with a grain of salt...

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/tax-breaks-turn-hobby-into-business.aspx

19. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

nice to have an accountant on board.
    Long time no see Alvin. Hope to see you on the boards more often