got ethical husbandry?

reef tank for local elementary school

LordHelmet

Supporting Member
Hi, my name is Chris Buchanan. I have had the opportunity the last 2 years to lend nano reef tanks to the classrooms of 2 of my children and will be lending the nano reef again. This summer a hobbyist donated a beautiful used 120 gallon tank for the purpose of a tank to be donated to a school. Los Paseos Elementary School, the school in my neighborhood, has some room in their library and would love to have the opportunity to have a reef tank.

The tank, 36”T-5 lighting, 40 lbs live rock, & salt water have been donated and the service will be performed by me. To set up the tank we will need some more donations of new or used items, some items may seem overkill for a free tank but will aid in the stability of the tank, especially during time when the campus is closed for breaks.

We are looking for the following items:
Sump that is appropriate for a 120 gallon or any similar sized Fish Tank
Return pump
Auto top off
40 – 50lbs live rock
Sand
Powerheads
Doser for Calc and Alk, ect.
Autofeeder
Livestock(fish, coral, inverts)
Media Reactor
Any other upgrades or equipment that you think may make this tank successful (ie: better lighting)

If desired, can provide donation information from the school for tax purposes.

Thank you for your generosity.

Chris Buchanan

Are you going to go full reef? Fowler tank might be easier to maintain and you wouldn't need any special lighting making it cheaper.

The lighting for the most part is taken care of, as well as the skimmer. It's mostly odds and ends that make the tank run better that I'm looking for in donations.
It will be set up as a softy/LPS reef. Something that can be left alone for a few weeks at a time.

Thank you

Sounds interesting. I have equipment that might be a good fit for the project.
Out of my head I know to have some power heads for circulation, nothing fancy, dinosaur era stuff.
External pump for return, a Panworld or if you need good volume to be moved, a Reeflo Dart with plenty of flow if you want to ditch power heads and go closed loop.
For sump, I have couple glass tanks I don't mind making a sump out of both of them.
Not sure if I have bigger Mag pumps but I spotted at least one Mag 7 over the weekend.
I do have some media reactors.

@LordHelmet Hi - MolaMola here - been AWOL for months from the club. LOTS of issues with classroom tanks if you want to chat, like @Flagg37 mentioned. : )
Hey do you live in the Avenida streets in San Jose? My niece's elem was Los Paseos.

IMG_7353.JPG
The Tank has been set up!!!!!!!! thanks again to everyone who has donated equipment for this wonderful tank build. The tank has had water in it for a week now (the live rock cured for months) and everything is looking great. Now come the fun part of filling it with livestock. I wanted to see if there was anyone who had anything in their tank, fish or coral, that they would be happy to donate. I will be at the BAR frag swap tomorrow and can pick up anything that anyone brings. Thank you for your support in creating this wonderful tank for the children in my neighborhood.

Chris Buchanan

Very cool! Those are some lucky kids!
Bringing Capnella Kenya Tree - don't know if you will be there frequently and can keep it from growing too large, but it is some of my students' favorite coral and they love watching it produce "baby trees."

I totally spaced. I was going to bring you a few softie frags. Hope you got plenty of frags today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back