Reef vacuum

Discussion in 'DIY' started by tygunn, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

I give you the prototype reef vacuum, a concept I've wanted to try for some time.

I just used it to suck the junk out of my sump and it worked great.

It's basically a 10in canister with a 100 micron reusable filter. A mag 9 provides suction through the filter.

The one big problem I had with this was priming. It's very hard to fill the tubes and canister with water in order to prime it. I've got a siphon start bulb so perhaps I could set that up to siphon from the tank into the sump to get the system flooded.

The mag 9 also not a big fan of having such a large restriction on its intake. I got lots of microbubbles on the output from cavitation. I might just live with it as it serves the purpose.

I'm planning to make some tools to attach to the cleaning want. Probably a pick, scraper, and a brush. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Use an old power head to pump water into the intake for priming?

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Or just use the powerhead to pump dirty want out? Or siphon it

4. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

That's a decent idea. Haha probably easier too.

5. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

I have used the trick of using a maxijet as a vacuum to pump into a filter sock in the past. It seemed to jam up the powerhead if I tried sucking up lots of silt or stuff. The big win with this setup is that it doesn't really plug up at all and I don't have to worry about fouling the pump.

6. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

It is how I have primed my Fluval canisters for years

7. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

Wonderful idea! Take that to shark tank! :)

8. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

hahahah, might actually work out, not a bad idea