Reef nutrition

Reefbrite Question?

iCon

Supporting Member
Just picked up a 48" 50/50 from a super cool dude and was wondering if they're strong enough to bleach corals...? It's over a 46"x10"x12" tank, approx. 5" above the waterline. Corals are on a soon-to-be-gone 1" sand bed and on some rocks about 3/4 up the tank. Waiting to remove the opaque plastic until I find out for sure. I've been looking for RB PAR readings and didn't turn up too much. "2x ati blue plus"... Well, ok....Couldn't find that number either!

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome so I avoiding turning a very full tank completely white :O

Thanks in adv!

eldiablosrt8 said:
And you hope to run 1 50/50

Hmm...yes. It's shallow and narrow so coverage isn't an issue...I think? I could always add a second one but I wanted to see how corals responded to LEDs since I know some pack a pretty good punch

Coral reefer said:
Depend what your are growing. Was that 3 48" t5s? Probably a little less light than you had before

I was hoping to grow everything :) Kraylen had a frag tank of similar size with a RB strip over it and was able to grow everything but SPS without color- I was just a little concerned about bleaching because I made risers to bring the coral within 2" of the water's surface. Wasn't sure if I should go through the whole light acclimation process or just toss it over the tank and admire the strip of LEDs. From first glimpse, they look a lot brighter than what was there before. Makes me want an all blue strip for my other tank :D

I dunno, I would say a single 50/50 RB strip would be insufficient light in general on that tank however you might bleach. Just because LEDs tend to be very focused and the lights won't be terribly high from an already shallow tank you really run the risk of getting hot spots even if your eyes don't show you any.

SPS grew fine, some pieces like tricolors had a hard time holding their color...

Under my Illuminarium 120 and 36" Reef Brite blue bar, all my SPS are keeping color just fine... some of my colors are better than in my T5 system, others are not AS intense.. but still there. I had some pretty incredible color in my DSB/HOB 55g SPS reef.

Kraylen said:
SPS grew fine, some pieces like tricolors had a hard time holding their color...

Under my Illuminarium 120 and 36" Reef Brite blue bar, all my SPS are keeping color just fine... some of my colors are better than in my T5 system, others are not AS intense.. but still there. I had some pretty incredible color in my DSB/HOB 55g SPS reef.

Thanks for the advice here and previously - The dimensions of the tank didn't make sense for an Illuminarium. How far beneath the fixture did you have your SPS/other corals? I know a bunch of chalices were on the bottom but did you have a raised part for SPS? The whole 'hot spots' thing is getting to me. Maybe it's time to bleach my first coral :D BN wouldn't be a terrible sacrifice

Back