Reefer's Safety Inspection check list - Please contribute your knowledge and ideas. :)

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Lyn, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Lyn

Lyn Guest

As suggested by Mr. Ugly, we should start a Reefer Safety inspection check list.

This would also be a great check off list before going on vacation too! It seems lots of nasty things happen while on vacation, at work, or even at home ( in Apons case).

Go ahead and tell us what you do or should do to make things safer for you and your charges. (And it is not just the marine charges, but the human ones too. :) )

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Rich had a very useful paper he was working on on this very subject. He posted it in another thread (don't remember which lol)

3. adolfo425

adolfo425 Guest

This would be cool.

One thing to have would be extra pre mixed water incase of emergencies at least 50 percent of your total volume.

This will be my contribution to the list.

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

- Drip loops on your electrical cords are your friends
    - Extension cords and daisy chains are not your friends
    - Store your reef chemicals where kids and pets can't get into them
    - Use eye protection and gloves as appropriate

5. Lyn

Lyn Guest

What's a daisy chain?

6. Eight

Eight Guest

I like to try to have a backup return pump on hand if possible.

7. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

That would be plugging several outlet strips or extension cords together.

Best to wire it up properly.

Extension cord are meant for temporary use only.

8. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Oh Oh, I guess I better go prune my flowers. :~

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

- Check that electrical cords, plugs, and sockets are in good condition.
    - Route power cords so that they are protected from pinching, chafing, and/or strain.
    - Use siphon breaks where flooding may be an issue.
    -

10. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

If you do use an extension cord for your tank make sure it's rated well beyond the capacity, it's not the actual cord which is going to be the fail point it's the plug. I did that with my temp tank, had a nice 15amp rated cord, but the end got hot as all hell. I jumped it up to a 20amp rated, end plug still gets warm.. but then again my 180 is a temporary tank :D

11. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I didn't know the plugs would get hot. thanks for the info. :)

Keep it coming everyone!

12. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

On occasion, and usually before I go on vacation, I turn off the electrical circuits to the tank.

I check that the sump doesn't overflow and that no backflow occurs where you don't want. I also check to see that my battery backups work. After the battery runs for a couple of hours, I'll turn the electricity back on and check to make sure things are running again.

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

- Provide clear access to electrical breaker panels
    - Shut off power at a breaker or switch instead of pulling on a power cord in case of electrical problem or fire
    - Make sure containers of reef chemicals are labeled properly
    - Check hoses and other plumbing for slow leaks
    - Make sure that tubing, hoses, and piping are secured from accidental dislodging
    - Clean up any salt creep and salt spray
    - Check that electrical connections fit securely and are free of corrosion
    - Locate electrical equpment so that it is protected from splashing, dripping, and flooding
    - Consider using an alarm for detecting water leaks
    - Make sure that heaters do not accidently become exposed to air

14. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

- Test backup systems (battery power/ UPS, and battery operated air pumps) quarterly to ensure changes have not compromised them.

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Try to foresee where any salt creep/spray will be! Like where water from a skimmer bubbles back into the sump, or your tank return bubbles into your sump... you can get stuff moving quite far without realizing it.

16. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

- When asked if you would like to play a game, do not choose Global Thermonuclear War

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

HAHAHA! Hide your Matthew Broderick action figure :)

Use fans to vent your stand and canopy

change your bulbs regularly

Avoid buying crappy gear no matter how insignificant it may seem

Use child proofers for open electrical outlets (on you high quality power strips of course)

Tell small children and your drunk friends that the tank can KILL YOU!!!

18. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I love that movie :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNiiBrEHBWA

Malvin cracks me up :D

19. A_Lee

A_Lee Guest

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2036

20. Thales

Thales Past President

Our electrical and plumbing has a habit of sprawling over time as we add and change stuff. This causes dangerous noodles of wiring and water filled tubing next to each other. Once a year or so, when I know stuff is 'permeant' I like to go through both items and clean them up for both safety and looks. I move all wiring and electrical sockets above above the tank. Cut all plumbing to size and install clamps and hose clamps where needed. Check all electrical connections. Add more DJ panels if necessary.

The weekend after next for me: label both ends of every wire and plug. :D