got ethical husbandry?

Reefscaping with Emaco

Time on your hands with Marco Rock and Emaco 400...

Roughly 55 pounds, 48 long x 24 wide x 18 high

bf22d82e.jpg

Not too shabby!

With my luck I'd make an absolutely awesome piece like that, but then forget that the top of my tank's opening isn't big enough for that to fit in :D

That is a pretty awesome piece.

I plan on using the emaco for my rocks when I setup the next tank (rocks and emaco just sitting around now) :)

Nice!
I tried some gravity defying pieces like that - Clunk - gravity won.
(My mistake was wrong concrete type, and no rods)

Yeah, gravity defying pieces are a nice optical illusion, you have to keep things balanced or gravity wins every time. It takes practice to get them right - but I really enjoy how they looks when they are done! I really wish I had a tank for this build - it is much better in person, very hard to get the depth and detail with my phone camera.

nice job with the rock structures. where do you get the emaco? I've got some black pond foam & mortar but by the looks the emaco stuff works out real well.

I buy from White Cap in bulk - 50 pound bags for Emaco 400 and Gallon for the Acryl 60...you can get smaller quantities from Marco Rocks and I usually have enough to spare too. This stuff is magic IMO. Easy to mix & work with, quick cure time, strong final bond and doesn't need to cure before going into a tank.

I've been resisting, but now just have to jump in here to double the +1 on the great things you can do with Emaco and fiberglass rods. I tried using rods and a "supposedly safe" mortar several years back, but the mortar started decomposing after a couple months and flaked off the rocks (fortunately the rods held tight, though). Emaco seems much better and looks to have a better long term record though.

Attached are a couple shots of my new build which I thought I'd share since some folks were talking about rods and gravity. This approach involved building a multi panel lining for the rear of the tank and then using that lining to suspend the decor using Emaco mixed with Acryl 60 and either 1/4" or 3/8" rod from Tap. The first shot shows how the rods can be set into the rear lining, the second shows the 4 panels together (to which the rockwork had to be constructed so that it would separate for installation, yet appear to be a single wall ... sort of like a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle), the 3rd shot shows the separated panels on the floor prior to installation, and the last shot shows the 4 panels in the tank. I don't happen to have a shot of the final installation, but more pieces of rockwork such as Tonga branch were hung off the rear wall to add dimensionality and depth.

The whole process took a fair bit of time but was really enjoyable to put together. A big thanks to John and Jim for their suggestions and help ... plus the hookup with the Emaco / Acryl 60.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Tank Build 017.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Tank Build 032.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Tank Build 038.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Tank Build 051.JPG

Stay tuned, looks like I will be starting on a big build this weekend. The tank is basically a penninsula setup and is 96 inch x 30 inch x 30 inch. Should be fun - the owner has a design he wants, I just need to make it happen. Have around 500 pounds of rock to choose from, so no lack of materials for sure...

I'll post some progress pics as I go.

Back