High Tide Aquatics

Refugium flow?

Is there too slow for refugium flow? Current best practices you might share re flow rates though refugia?

I've converted my sump's 3 gal RODI reservoir to a refugium and added 24 MarinePure cubes, 32 oz of Algaebarn's copepods, cocktail of plankton, etc.

Attached pic: RSR reservoir converted to refugium; 24 MarinePure cubes, a basket of chaeto under a LED lamp (using this fixture and this bulb); plus 32 oz of this has been added with daily feedings of plankton.

Adjustments you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!
-Art

refugium_squist_aug2019.jpg

I’ve just let the flow be whatever it is based off the return pump. I shoot for 2-5x turnover of tank volume per hour. I’ve heard of other people putting small power heads in certain areas to keep detritus from building up.

Flow can definitely be too low. That usually shows up as Cyano growing rampant in fuge and even on chaeto.
Usually return pump is ok though.
So I would not add anything unless you notice a problem.

One thing is you will get a lot of detritus build up between those blocks of marine-pure.
So remember to occasionally pull them out for full cleaning.

One thing is you will get a lot of detritus build up between those blocks of marine-pure.
So remember to occasionally pull them out for full cleaning.
Thanks for the tip! I plan to have egg crate under the blocks for quick lifting to clear detritus out.

Back