Reef nutrition

Refugium Project

Part One: Starting To Plan...

I've decided to construct a smallish refugium for my 34gal. I'm starting to plan, and first want a way to get water from the 34gal to the refugium and back. I don't want a Hang-On refugium or an In-Tank refugium... Just something to put some live rock, sand, cheato, and macro algae in. I also hope to farm copeopods in it. I will try to make a diagram with the computer later, but I need suggestions below.

Desired Traits...
Size - small square shape
Pump - small low-flow pump to simply pump water to and fro through a tube
Price - cheap...

Give me some suggestions and info on how it might be able to work (like how to filter it and stuff...)

So you saying you want to use two pumps, one for pumping water from the tank and the other for pumping the water back into the tank?

This project can be handled in SOOOO many ways. For your size tank a 3-5 Gal fuge would be easily enough. With that in mind you could just use an extra salt bucket. Unless you really NEED it to be "square". You can plumb part of your return reed into the fuge and build in a simple PVC overflow. That's just one idea of MANY.

Matt, the tank is not drilled. He doesn't want to use the OF box. I couldn't think of a safe way to transfer the water to/from the two tanks..

Yeah one way has to be a gravity flow, the pump drains one tank, which fills one up, and the excess is pushed back to the tank where the pump is located. Even if you bough 2 of the same exact pumps, id bet you would still end up with water on the floor someday.

If you put the Fuge above the main tank (meaning water level just above the tanks water level) then you can put a "drain" on the fuge, which would be the cheapest/eaisiest route. It can be a distance away, but the water level needs to be higher.
this way you could just add a pump to the main tank, and not have to drill or anything to it.

I have an empty glass 10gal w/ no canopy. It would fit perfectly. I think I'm going to end up using that and just setting it on the floor next to the aquarium. Would it smell bad since it has no lid? Here is my plan...

Run a tube from the start of the main tank's filter compartment to the fuge (bring water through it by small pump)

Filter through some bio balls and filter pad/cloth thing (I'll put a bag of phosphate remover in the filtering area of the fuge)

Water is then in the main area w/ liver rock, live sand, macro algae, and a copeopod farm (I'll make a special little section w/ water flow from fuge for the copeopods)

Run water back through pump & up back into the start of the main tank's filter compartment.

That is my plan. Any suggestions? I can't have the fuge at main tank's level due to ugliness of fuge equipment sticking up there (the tank is in my room). I'm currently working on a diagram/picture of how it will be put together. Throw suggestions at me so I can add them to the diagram. Thanks! :)

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5969.msg75482#msg75482 date=1232342895]
Matt, the tank is not drilled. He doesn't want to use the OF box. I couldn't think of a safe way to transfer the water to/from the two tanks..
[/quote][quote author=tuberider link=topic=5969.msg75595#msg75595 date=1232389589]
Get a little HOB filter from someone used (less then $10) and throw a light on it, done deal.
[/quote]

Jeremy nailed it. Just get a used HOB filter, do a little modification and you're done.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5969.msg75615#msg75615 date=1232392924]
One quick question... What is an HOB filter? I've never heard of them.
[/quote]

Yeah people are CrAzY with the Acronims
"Hang On Back" Overvlow.

I would have said a Hang On Back too, but they said you dident want to run a overflow or a Hang-On refugium.
A HOB IS a external overflow.

If you insist on trying the pump down, and pump back up system "EXPERIMENT OUTSIDE" with 2 buckets ..lol Or at least in the sink. I can bet 100% you will not be able to get it dialed properly. Even if you did, if one thing changes the flow of either, your gonna get a wet floor still.

If your going to have the tank higher, and the sump lower then your going to have to run a HOB. Gravity out of the tank, and pump up back from the sump.

heres a tinny little guy designed for a red sea max tank
"Nano-Prefilter for Red Sea Max"
lg_rsmnano.jpg

Max at AS can set you up with one of these, its available from "LifeReef"

By "How am I supposed to fit that on the back of my aquarium?" I meant, There is a inch between the aquarium and the wall already... so that won't work.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5969.msg75624#msg75624 date=1232394378]
How am I supposed to fit that on the back of my aquarium? Also, is it quiet? I need something quiet. Something sleep-through-able! :)
[/quote]

thats the smallest ive seen before.

Also If you have live rock in your tank id remove the bio balls, I forgot to mention that earlier.

Do you mean live rock in the main tank, or live rock in the fuge? In my 14gal I have live rock and bio balls in the back compartment. Is that bad for some reason? Or do you mean in the fuge?

In my opinion if you have enough live rock in the main part of the tank you do not need bio balls in the filter compartment.

LR in the filter compartment, is Essentially natural bioballs, but it also has places for pods to live, so I usually have some back there.

Have you thought of modifying your Filter compartment in to a Fuge, Its simple...
remove the bio balls, and run the water deeper in the pump side. (its originally set to run at a lower level to get the trickel filter to work efficently.)

Just take the paint off the back with a razor blade, and hang a light in the back so it shows through the hole, and the cheto grows all the way to the bottom.

I have a tank like this already, I can snap some pics of if you want to see it.

That is a really good idea! I'd never thought of that. But that would mean removing the filter pads, sponge filter, and the big protein skimmer. Would the cheto and live rock filter out debris and unwanted stuff? Also, Is it possible to put a desk lamp over the cheto? I think I know how I'd do that, but what lighting does the cheto require?

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5969.msg75635#msg75635 date=1232396751]
That is a really good idea! I'd never thought of that. But that would mean removing the filter pads, sponge filter, and the big protein skimmer. Would the cheto and live rock filter out debris and unwanted stuff? Also, Is it possible to put a desk lamp over the cheto? I think I know how I'd do that, but what lighting does the cheto require?
[/quote]

No just remove the bio balls, and some of the rock back there, and shove cheto where it will fit (main bio ball compartment)
If you light from the back, like i said you can still use the top mechanical filter tray, and the skimmer, which is in the overflow in area right?

like this, but put the Cheto in the middle, and run the water level higher. The pic here the tank had very little live rock in it, so i had extra in the trickel area. Its 90% romoved now, and both of the back chaimbers on the right grow cheto.
nanno-2007-12-6e.JPG

Your skimmer would be on the left in this pic correct?

Back