got ethical husbandry?

Refugium Question

I have chaeto, sand, and rubble in my refug...how do i know if it's doing anything for my tank? I never added any -pods. Should I do that? I have the correct light bulb for the chaeto, but it died.

Also, the filter pads between the refug and also the between the skimmer portion and the return pump are filthy and I change them frequently.

Any advice appreciated!

If you got your chaeto from an established tank, you’ll get pods eventually.

You’ll need the right lights for chaeto, look up grow out lights on amazon. I got one of those pink spot bulbs that they use to grow weed and it’s perfect for my chaeto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you. I bought the light from Ultimate Aquarium based on Joe's recommendation. It was nice and green but gradually turned red then brown? I was lighting it overnight from around 7pm until 5:30am.

Thank you. I bought the light from Ultimate Aquarium based on Joe's recommendation. It was nice and green but gradually turned red then brown? I was lighting it overnight from around 7pm until 5:30am.

May have something to do with your water quality as well. I’ve tried chaeto in a reactor and also in the sump, I’ve had both grow out of control and also die all of a sudden. It’s just like any living thing in your tank, it needs the right water chem and light.

LFS said i needed more flow in the fuge and to hand rotate the ball and it will be fine.

If you don’t mind a little DIY project, try a chaeto reactor. The advantage with a reactor is that your chaeto gets light from almost all directions (so you don’t have to hand rotate it in a sump). If you don’t know what a chaeto reactor is there are tons of tutorials on it on YouTube. Good luck! [emoji1360]

Back