High Tide Aquatics

Refugium vs Algae Reactor.. Why does one method work while the other fails.

A little off topic , but what are you guys using to prevent refugium light from bleeding into different areas? Looks like I'm growing algae inside my skimmer.

Acrylic sheet (black)?
Maybe a a shade of some kind that project the light downward like a lamp shade?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Flexible HDPE sheets from TAP plastics.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_sheets_rolls/hdpe_m_m_opaque/258

I use them in sump, external to sump, hanging, whatever is needed.

Can you take a few pictures when you get a chance? Would like to see how you are using it.

Thanks!

Fuge 1: has one sheet between sump and external fuge. (Outside water)

12490ddd10750b4957add62e0c8fab2e.jpg

Fuge 2: I have hanging sheets and pieces cut to size that are held onto baffles by magnets or clips. (Inside and outside water)

1db9a32fa3159a5d31072b417ba2f1c5.jpg

Fuge 1: has one sheet between sump and external fuge. (Outside water)

12490ddd10750b4957add62e0c8fab2e.jpg

Fuge 2: I have hanging sheets and pieces cut to size that are held onto baffles by magnets or clips. (Inside and outside water)

1db9a32fa3159a5d31072b417ba2f1c5.jpg

If you wanted to reflect the light back, you could use white versus the black I used, I suppose. Don't think in the long run, it'd make much a difference.

Last edited:
I got a couple plastic mirrors from Amazon, hotglued on toothpicks, and used zip tie to hold them on the light. This directs the light down into the rectangular fuge with a lot less spillover.

9f6d3293dcea9c6749e7a908ab6c2d2b.jpg
Wow, that’s a great idea. They should make those commercially. @grizfyrfyter , can you print something like that up that would attach to a h380? If it was adjustable it would be even better.

I think I’ve got that soft box. I’ve never really used it though. I don’t know if the end where the flash goes is big enough to go around the h380. I’m not sure how well it will hold up around salt water either.

I think I’ve got that soft box. I’ve never really used it though. I don’t know if the end where the flash goes is big enough to go around the h380. I’m not sure how well it will hold up around salt water either.

They come in different sizes. Softboxes are usually made of nylon, so I don't think the salt would be that harsh on them.

If you bought bigger mirrors, do you think it can block the light completely from the skimmer area?

They are the perfect size for my long rectangular-shaped refugium, the light line is just about exactly where it needs to be on both sides. If I bump the light or blinders they can get to be not perfectly aligned, but it works great overall.

There is still some light bouncing around in the sump and on the skimmer, but not direct anymore.

Damn John, I love that mirrors glued to toothpicks idea :D

Randy, thanks for the tap plastic's link, want to put an opaque background on my tank that is removable if needed, and those sheets look like they will fit the bill well and aren't terribly expensive at that.

Unknown.jpeg
On the Kessil tour we saw a reef tank in the lobby that was lit with what I recall are some experimental industrial lights based on parent company DiCon's photography equipment line. It had barn doors similar to those shown in this similar photo found in google images (not the actual tank light). The lights were on a track at the ceiling and shining down on the topless tank. So bright and focused on the target area! Expensive barn doors, he said. Great DYI, @JVU!

How about something like a planter's pot. Cut it in half (sideways) and hang it around the area that you want not to bleed in. I am just concerned that the heat would melt the plastic?

Anyone have tried this?

btw, ordered the tap plastic also ..thanks Randy!

Attachments

• plant_pot.jpg
    plant_pot.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Hey Randy,

Looks like I'm some of the pics you have the plastic pieces in the water separating in between the chambers? Are you using magnets or glue? What are you using to keep them in place.

Thanks again!

Hey Randy,

Looks like I'm some of the pics you have the plastic pieces in the water separating in between the chambers? Are you using magnets or glue? What are you using to keep them in place.

Thanks again!

Magnets on the baffle...if I was smarter, I would have painted the baffle black or used silicon before getting the sump wet. Was too lazy to drain it after it got filled.

Back