Kessil

Refugium vs Algae Reactor.. Why does one method work while the other fails.

Magnets on the baffle...if I was smarter, I would have painted the baffle black or used silicon before getting the sump wet. Was too lazy to drain it after it got filled.
Was there a magnet that you used? It was hard to find an in water magnet that wasn't too expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Was there a magnet that you used? It was hard to find an in water magnet that wasn't too expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Used what I had laying around. A magnetic frag rack.....Old magnets from korelia nano power heads.

In this Hobby, everything you do regardless if it's right or wrong is a good learning experience. I have read so many posts on:
  • My Chaeto grows really good in my Algae Reactor
  • My Chaeto dies in an Algae Reactor, even using the expensive Pax Bellum
  • My Chaeto growth is insane in a Refugium
  • My Chaeto dies in a Refugium
  • etc..etc.. etc..
In my situation, the algae reactor failed while the refugium is doing very well in the same tank, same sump, and
  • Algae Reactor is Skimz MBR 157
  • Refugium is lit by Kessil H380
Both are pretty decent pieces of equpiment that has shown success in other tanks. I'm asking this because it's really confusing to me. I would like to try to understand why.

Some Notes:
  • H380 is running 8 hrs opposite DT lighting.
  • Algae Reactor (Tried 12 hrs, 8 hrs, 6 hrs, with different Flow Rates)
  • Nutrient reading is usually always around 0-.03 Phosphates, Nitrates 5-10
  • Feed 4x a day (3 1 spin, 1 2 spin/ 1 cube frozen mysis 3x/week, reef roids 2x week)
View attachment 9826 View attachment 9827View attachment 9828
7e9d9a10c3f4355c565122b721df3173.jpg
I ended up going from a kessil to the mbr127.
The kessil worked really nice but the chaeto was just escaping everywhere.

The mbr127 grows out chaeto like a chia pet.
A little lazy trimming it thought as it is also a PIA getting that top back on. Still have to use GFO too to get phosphates down enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently started a hydroponic project. I 3d printed a tower where water is pumped to the top and it trickles down and the plants can absorb nutrients.

I was lost in thought and wandered across the idea of doing this with mangroves. I doubt it's any more effective than what people do now, but I'm always looking for a better way to skin a cat.

The tower I printed.

Back