Cali Kid Corals

Repairing scratched acrylic?

I had to wait 3.5 weeks for mine just picked the tank up last friday. Tru Vu is backed up in production. I just built the stand this past week end. I will post some pictures when I have some time

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2003.msg19509#msg19509 date=1177480143]
Thanks Bonnie.

So what product is that sheet? I'm not familiar with it.

It's not a wet/dry type abrasive paper? I'd not heard of a "mm" grading system before.
[/quote]

Norman, not sure - it's actually just "m" on his instruction sheet, I mis-wrote the first time. I have some extras that I used just once if you want to check them out.

Bonnie, extras would be good. Thanks!

Ok, I tracked down some more info. Sounds like it's the Micro Mesh product. The one for acrylic is MMR (regular) series. The "m" probably stands for micron, the size of the grit.

Here's some useful info, including cross references to grit size:

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/abrasives/micromesh.htm

Yeah, that's probably pretty similar to what Marc uses. The sheets I have are pretty small and with an adhesive backing, since they're meant to attach to the magnet rig. I can just pop them in the mail for you, if you want.

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=2003.msg19518#msg19518 date=1177512622]
I had to wait 3.5 weeks for mine just picked the tank up last friday. Tru Vu is backed up in production. I just built the stand this past week end. I will post some pictures when I have some time
[/quote]
Hey, you've been holding out on us! Are you setting it up in the garage? Wonder who else is getting one.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2003.msg19580#msg19580 date=1177553166]
[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=2003.msg19518#msg19518 date=1177512622]
[/quote]
Hey, you've been holding out on us! Are you setting it up in the garage? Wonder who else is getting one.
[/quote]
Well, I WAS going to order a 100W rectangular (48X24X20) from Truvue but luckily, I found a nice 180 instead. I also heard the quote of 3.5 weeks leadtime. Now I'll be using a 120 as a sump! The things we do for our coral! LOL!!

I know this thread is a bit old, but I recommend checking out www.etr-inc.com. I feel they have the best kits for any type of scratch repair.

Norm, I know we talked about this briefly yesterday but I'm curious at what grit did you feel the need to stop sanding? I know you used Novus polish after the fact, but I'm curious if the grit you stopped at you had effectively removed any imperfections.

I'm giving one more shot at the above website you gave for the micromesh pads, if I don't hear back I'm going to give them the finger and tell them to screw off.

I used 2000, then 2500. I don't remember the equivalent grit of the Novus 3.

The acrylic still needs sanding after the 2500. If you feel lazy, you could stop at a grit equivalent to Novus 3.

For a display, it's worth it to go to Novus 2 or equivalent.

I didn't bother with the 1.

Here is a step by step that my friend put together.. This is for an empty tank.. I've seen tanks that looked like they were used as live rock storage bins that he has restored in a couple of hours to factory new clarity... One 240 comes to mind that was scraped across a door hinge :( Maybe a little longer on some of the 400+'s gallon tanks I've watched him do...

http://forums.waterwolves.com/acrylic-buffing-101-t110079.html

Ok, little bump, sculpt.com irritated me a bit so I canceled my order with them, first they said they could get the stuff and it wouldn't take two months... well ok to be fair it hasn't been two months, but damnit they still don't have the product. Now their customer service is nice Joyce has tried to help me, although she mentioned that they could build a kit from the single sided pads.. and I was great, then realized she meant buy each sheet individually.

The everclear people everything says "add to wishlist" as if nothing was actually available for sale?

Fricking *sigh* already, maybe time to go to tap plastic and buy their sandpaper.

Mike, I have this kit
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18381/si1380655/cl0/pentairaquaticsscratchremovalkitforacrylicaquariums
I used it once on a 50 gallon acrylic tank, it worked quite well. What are you using it for. I could look for it and you could use it if you wanted to. It has I want to say at least 6 different sand papers of different grit with that sanding block (the sand paper is on cloth and does not rip or tear like normal ones). And one type of rubbing compound.

Back