Reef nutrition

Retrofitting a BC29 with a 150MH DE; glass advise

Hi !

I'm installing a retro HQI in my BC29 and need to know (before I cut anything) what kind of glass would I need; I know has to be UV protective due to the DE bulb but does it have to be tempered, plated as in cars or regular will do it?
I went to Thiesen Glass today and a piece of 8X17 was $35 !!!
The glass will use the stock plastic as a frame to hold it in place so before any cutting I need a little advise

Thanks !

P1020484.jpg

I don't think you need a special glass, regular should do. I am sure it is a lot cheaper to get it cut at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I used regular today but it cracked right in the middle so to be safe I'll get a piece of tempered. I placed it on top of an empty aquarium to check for the heath generated on the top plastic and did not get too hot, could not notice a difference between the stock lights and hqi and the fans were off (the stock are noisy so I'll replace them)

Got the tempered glass from Theisen Glass on 16th@Potrero, two pieces, one for the BC29 and one for a JBJ 12, I was little lazy to remove the siliconed one so I fix it right on top of it using the thin cork they use to separate glass, turned out pretty good, has been sitting on the cube for three days in a row, temperature is about the same ~80 but yesterday was 82; I installed a Seio 620 and think this added a little heat, should not be that much but the place we live in is very stable temperature wise, even in the summer temp. remains between 78-80

Back