Jestersix

Return pump for a 90 gallon?

I'm thinking of changing out my return pump to help save in electricity and size. So my question is, what type of return pump do you all recommend for a 90 gallon mixed reef? It'll be in the living room, so noise is somewhat of an issue, but not as big of an issue as if it were in the bedroom.

Thanks!

Well, my current return came with the aquarium and Coral Reefer eyed it up as a Mag 9 I believe - hopefully he can chime in - which I think is too much for this tank. Thoughts?

You could just put a valve on it.
Not a problem for mag drive pumps, and reduces power used.
But 50% might be a bit much.

Want a quiet-one 4000 cheap?
Grr.
Not exactly quiet, and lower flow than spec'd, but low power, and while I
started that as a joke, it might fit your needs.

I'm running my 150 with a 1260, and it's feeding the return, 2 Phosban reactors, and it still has a partially open bypass valve. Water level is about 2/3 the way up the overflow teeth.

Decide how many times you want to turn over your tank volume per hour, then look at the pump curves for the flow rate you need for the head height.

I'm doing low turnover to reduce noise and bubbles. I make up the difference with in tank circulation. "You can't have too much flow", but that doesn't mean you need to run it all through the sump.

Running a 1260 as a return on my Elos 70 and there is a lot of flow. I think it is plenty for a 90 as well..

I use other powerheads for in-tank flow, although the eheim contributes a significant amount in a tank my size.

Nevermind: Found it:

* Pump Output: 635 gph
* Delivery Head: 12`1"
* Power Consumption: 65 W (120V/60Hz)
* Hose Connection (Suction Side): 1"
* Hose Connection (Pressure Side): 3/4"
* Dimensions: 8.6" x 4.6" x 6.3"
* Weight: 6.0 lbs

Mr. Ugly said:
Decide how many times you want to turn over your tank volume per hour, then look at the pump curves for the flow rate you need for the head height.

I'm doing low turnover to reduce noise and bubbles. I make up the difference with in tank circulation. "You can't have too much flow", but that doesn't mean you need to run it all through the sump.

IMO/IME that is the best method. I have a 1260 for my 4x2x2 tank.

I'm also on low turnover too (3x-4x tank volume through sump per hour but sometimes wonder if that is too low. Like my skimmer absolutely pounds my sump clean but could be worked "harder" if the flowrate was a little higher. Thoughts?

Around 350 to 400GPH for 75G & 20G sump, for my case the only filters in sump are skimmer & bag of carbon, it does not make too much sense to flow much more water than the skimmer can process.

But I am thinking to use filter socks to help removing some detritus but also have concern it will remove food for corals, debating....

I second third or forth the eheim.
If you are interested in saving some cash, I would trade you my almost new 1260 for a new 1250. It has been running about a month and 1/2. Just got if for my new 50 gal and it is overkill with all the in tank flow.

Back