Reef nutrition

Return pump going bad?

last night while watching the warriors, I noticed my return pump (older varios 3) started randomly spitting bubbles. Like I would just here a quick pop/spitting sound and see a few bubbles come out of the return...it would happen maybe once every half hournor so.

I looked around the sump and everything seemed kosher. I decided to up the flow a bit because I have been wanting a bit more flow through the sump,a Dan I was there. Adjusted the drain valve for the new flow.

Then I wake up this am and my overflow sounds like a constantly draining toilet. The water level in the overflow was much lower than normal... I.E. not going through the emergency drain.

So it’s potentially fine because I messed with it yesterday. But the little bubble bursts and this combined make me think that maybe the return pump is going bad.

Pump was cleaned about a month ago looked perfect.

Any other way to check? Just hope and pray?

Even a broken or breaking pump won’t spit bubbles if it completely submerged. That’s why I’m asking about water level in your return compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe is right, no bubbles should be coming out if completely submerged.
Since you have a variable flow pump, Could the pump be acting up by at times pulling more water than what is drining to that compartment? Maybe a short burst that partially brings the water level down that the pump draws some air?

Maybe. It’s really weird. The first thing I did was check the return area water volume. It was spot on.

Maybe it’s randomly spinning up like you said. Sure would be nice to have a flow meter. Never thought I would “need” one of those. Lol

I reset my drain this am...I’ll see what up when I get home around noon

I figured it out. The random spurts of bubbles came from my Vortech Bri g just a tad to high in the water column.

Drain has been perfect. I just suck. Lol

Back