High Tide Aquatics

Return pump noise

Huge vibrations from my Sincra Silent.
a3dd34bcc450dbb693ee06d70ce147eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sincras are noisy! Without measurements its subjective but I tried 2 sincras and got back to eheim compact instead. I did everything to fight noise - silicon hose, silicon mat, wrap it in the filter pad - doesn’t matter it’s noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to find out where the sound is coming from, disconnect your pump from the piping and hold it while on, see if it still makes noise, if it doesn't you know it's the way everything is hooked up is causing some vibration that is probably constructive patterns causing it to get louder than normal.

Increase the amount of water you allow into the return section, maybe more water will help muffle the sound.

As mentioned, putting something under it might help with vibration noise. Even a layer of sand (if you can keep the sand from sucking up into the return. Maybe a sponge? Silicon mat as mentioned?

Seems like that large section of rigid PVC is transmitting sound, Try a section of the vinyl hose directly after the pump?

V

Check your intake hole for the pump to see if a snail or some sort of obstruction is causing the noise.

I went barb to barb with soft tubing myself before going to the union.
upload_2019-2-5_11-53-19.png

Side tip : The inside diameter of Barb fittings is rather small.

You may want to do a PVC Tee first, then switch to barb/hose.

But in general on noise:
1) Make sure the hard surfaces of the pump do not touch anything.
2) Buy a quieter pump.

Unintentionally my pump doesn't sit completely on the floor, the pipe was a tad short so only 2 out of the 4 feets contact the glass and I think that reduced noise :D.

Those syncras are anything but silence.

Also having less friction helps with noise. When i switched from 3/4" to 1" it made a huge difference in noise.

Back