got ethical husbandry?

RF-602 + 420EX Frustrations

Hey all,
I just got my RF-602 yesterday, and I've been tinkering with it all day.

The flash I am using is one from a couple years ago, the 420EX Speedlight. The thing that has been a hassle with using this flash, and the RF-602 is that the 420EX is designed only to fully discharge at firing. I cannot stop the power down from 1/1.

I do not have umbrella or any other accessories yet, as I am still playing with an external flash to see if it is something I even want to get into more seriously. If anyone has a small umbrella set they're looking to get rid of, let me know :)

So when I am taking shots, it is difficult for me to balance the aperture, and ISO because the flash is always firing at 1/1. I find myself using ISO100, and a very small aperture (higher f/ value) t keep less light from coming in and to keep my shots from overexposing. Sometimes I find I am moving the flash super from my subject to compensate for the 1/1 power it puts out.

I am getting quite frustrated at this -does anyone have any advice, or tips? Or is it recommend/or do I need a 430EXII? The 580EXII is a bit out of the budget for me. With the 430EXII I would be able to stop down the power output (1/2, 1/4, 1/8 et cetera), which I'd imagine would help, so instead of playing with my aperture, ISO, an flash to subject distance so much I could just weasel the power output down a couple stops on the flash instead?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make coherent sense! Any help is appreciated!
Using an off board flash is completely new business to me!

Back