Rich's First SF Build

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by RichieT, May 5, 2013.

1. RichieT

RichieT Guest

Finally got myself settled in!!

So I did a lot of thinking about what I like and don't like in a tank and came up with the following:
    1) I wanted an All-In-One style tank.
    2) I wanted to keep it shallow
    3) I wanted it to be more of a top down view than a side view
    4) I wanted something under 50gal to make water changes in a small SF apt feasible
    5) I wanted to have something oriented in the peninsula style

After seeing the work that Advanced Acrylics (John) did for a buddy I was sold. Fortunately for me, he is also in California so shipping was a little cheaper.

After talking with John I came up with this design (ended up going with 16in instead of the 14)
    [​IMG]

Here is the AIO design that I liked the best. I think I'll end up running a nano skimmer in one of the side chambers.
    [​IMG]

John worked some magic and made the tank for me in a week!!
    [​IMG]
    Also got me a stand made as well ( A little rough around the edges, but should work)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Let the fun begin

3. BayReefer415

BayReefer415 Guest

Looks like a well built tank, can't wait to see it come together.

4. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Beautiful set up. You are really gonna like that!

5. Very sweet! What are your thoughts on livestock for the new tank?

6. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

Nice. I like the Peninsula style.

7. RichieT

RichieT Guest

I've already picked up a nice pair of clowns from Ed. A Grade A DaVinci and a Black Snowflake. I'll get pics up later. Other than those two I'm not sure if I'll put any more fish in the tank. I'm more of a coral guy. I'll probably get a couple of cleaner shrimp and a nice BTA.

As far as coral goes, I'm going to be keeping chalices, zoas and montis for the most part. Maybe a few favias and acans as well.

8. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Guest

That's one sweet setup!

9. kmaintl

kmaintl Guest

Welcome to SF Rich.

10. Looking forward to the photos! Considering your source for the two clowns I expect they are prized specimen.

I am the opposite these days, leaning more towards fish than corals. ;)

11. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Very cool!

12. RichieT

RichieT Guest

We finally got the rock work exactly the way I wanted with the help of a local pro (JesterSix). I wanted to keep this set-up very clean looking and the rock scape to be minimal with some impact. I've always been extremely impressed with the "bonsai" look so I decided to give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think. I have about 40-45 lbs of rock in the tank but it's only touching the bottom in two spots. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lawrence Yang likes this.
  13. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Wow! I really like that aquascape a LOT! You and John did a great job.

14. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Very cool! I was watching John's Facebook page regarding your build but didn't realize it was your tank until now. :)

15. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

+1...another Jestersix off the hook rockscape.

16. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Sweet!!!!
    I love all those overhangs, and so will the fish.

17. RichieT

RichieT Guest

That's everyone. Everything has been great so far. I think the cycle is finished. The ammonia got as high as 0.5 ppm for a couple days and then came down. Hit zero today. I plan on adding a few zoa frags tomorrow and see how it goes. So far I'm very impressed with the Dr. Tim's product. I'll continue to monitor ammonia levels to see if there is a secondary cycle.

18. euod

euod Supporting Member

What kind of Dr. Tim's products are you using?

19. RichieT

RichieT Guest

Dr. Tim's One and Only

20. RichieT

RichieT Guest

Finally got some coral in the tank. I very nice piece of Rainbow Cyphastrea, some Pink Hallucinations, and the classic sunny D.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]