Reef nutrition

Rich's First SF Build

Finally got myself settled in!!

So I did a lot of thinking about what I like and don't like in a tank and came up with the following:
1) I wanted an All-In-One style tank.
2) I wanted to keep it shallow
3) I wanted it to be more of a top down view than a side view
4) I wanted something under 50gal to make water changes in a small SF apt feasible
5) I wanted to have something oriented in the peninsula style

After seeing the work that Advanced Acrylics (John) did for a buddy I was sold. Fortunately for me, he is also in California so shipping was a little cheaper.

After talking with John I came up with this design (ended up going with 16in instead of the 14)

Here is the AIO design that I liked the best. I think I'll end up running a nano skimmer in one of the side chambers.

John worked some magic and made the tank for me in a week!!

Also got me a stand made as well ( A little rough around the edges, but should work)

lattehiatus said:
Very sweet! What are your thoughts on livestock for the new tank?

I've already picked up a nice pair of clowns from Ed. A Grade A DaVinci and a Black Snowflake. I'll get pics up later. Other than those two I'm not sure if I'll put any more fish in the tank. I'm more of a coral guy. I'll probably get a couple of cleaner shrimp and a nice BTA.

As far as coral goes, I'm going to be keeping chalices, zoas and montis for the most part. Maybe a few favias and acans as well.

RichieT said:
lattehiatus said:
Very sweet! What are your thoughts on livestock for the new tank?

I've already picked up a nice pair of clowns from Ed. A Grade A DaVinci and a Black Snowflake. I'll get pics up later. Other than those two I'm not sure if I'll put any more fish in the tank. I'm more of a coral guy. I'll probably get a couple of cleaner shrimp and a nice BTA.

As far as coral goes, I'm going to be keeping chalices, zoas and montis for the most part. Maybe a few favias and acans as well.

Looking forward to the photos! Considering your source for the two clowns I expect they are prized specimen.

I am the opposite these days, leaning more towards fish than corals. ;)

We finally got the rock work exactly the way I wanted with the help of a local pro (JesterSix). I wanted to keep this set-up very clean looking and the rock scape to be minimal with some impact. I've always been extremely impressed with the "bonsai" look so I decided to give it a shot. Let me know what you guys think. I have about 40-45 lbs of rock in the tank but it's only touching the bottom in two spots. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

That's everyone. Everything has been great so far. I think the cycle is finished. The ammonia got as high as 0.5 ppm for a couple days and then came down. Hit zero today. I plan on adding a few zoa frags tomorrow and see how it goes. So far I'm very impressed with the Dr. Tim's product. I'll continue to monitor ammonia levels to see if there is a secondary cycle.

Back