RO waste water

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Flagg37, May 28, 2016.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

For those of you that actually use your RO waste water, what do you use it for, and logistically how do you capture it? Do you simply have it draining in a bucket?

I had given some thought to creating some kind of drip irrigation system for the garden but wanted to see if someone had already done this.

2. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

I have mine down a drain at the moment :oops: until I drill a hole through the foundation stem wall. At that point it will go to a 55g rain collector that I have a 120v pump on the rain collecot so we can manually water the yard without using water from the city.

Coral reefer likes this.
  3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

RO waste water is basically better than Brita filter, but you can't hook it up to an under tank storage because of the back pressure. As such if you do drip irrigation with it do not have any drip ends that restrict flow since the pressure is supposed to fixed for your capacity.

Me I just have a really long hose that goes to a fruit tree in the back, every now and then I switch trees.

4. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

I water my grass and plants

5. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

I collect waste water in 33 gallon brute and water plants in back yard

Brandon Hamamoto likes this.
  6. WrightReef

WrightReef Supporting Member

Run mine out to a long drip line and move around the garden.
    100' 1/4" solid line with a 25' drip line. - then I have a 1/3 acre urban farm
    Move it around, don't want add to only one spot as salts may build up.
    I also fill my jugs outside, incase i forget to move it, made 25 gallons yesterday.

7. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Right now I have the unit under my sink and it used one of those self piercing fittings to drain into the drain pipe of the sink. Is there a way to plug that up so that I can remove the RO drain line with out the sink drain line leaking?

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

What material is your sink drain?

9. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Steel.

10. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

I run it to a watering can and manually water plants. It overflows down the drain sometimes.

11. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

It's probably easier to replace the part. They are available at any home center in the plumbing department.

12. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Or don't remove it, just put a tiny valve on it right near the fitting, and cut the rest off.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Easier said than done. It's like an 1-1/2" steel drain pipe that goes directly into the wall.

Not a bad idea. It's just a band aid but the plan is to remodel the kitchen within the next year. I'll replace the pipe at that point.

14. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Mine goes to 5g watering jugs or the pool.