Rock Flower Anemone (VIP Reef) Group Buy

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by FeliciaLynn, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Ok, so no drip acclimation...

Stupid Q: "gently press them against the rock where you want them", won't this damage the nem? or did you mean place (not press) them and they'll attach?

2. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

Don't press them hard, but yeah I just gently press/hold them up against the rock. Don't like squish them or anything. Don't just place them there and walk away because they'll just end up getting blown around the tank. You have to hold them with some gentle pressure for a moment while they attach their foot.

Nav likes this.
  3. FeliciaLynn

Here's the info from VIP Reef's website:
    I've personally never had to deal with placing them in a container of rubble rock. All 9 of mine have attached their feet easily just by me holding them against the rock for a moment or two. Oh, and if you have foam guards for your powerheads (like the ones for the MP10s), so may want to put those on for a couple days while they get settled in case a nem goes free floating. I've never had one of mine do that after being placed, but its always possible.

4. Jruga

Jruga Guest

Hey Felucia, since I'll be out of town, I'll have Terry come down and pick up my nems on Thursday.

5. FeliciaLynn

Great! Thank you! :)

6. FeliciaLynn

The rock flower anemones are officially on their way here from Miami! I just got the tracking info. They're supposed to arrive by 3 pm tomorrow. :)

Spoon and Nav like this.
  7. Pancetta

Pancetta Guest

Well folks, my two VIP rock flower anemones seem to be doing well and look beautiful.
    They have opened up and gave great color; even with my stock Biocube lighting.

Thanks for all you work on this Felicia!

David

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  8. Kara13

Kara13 Guest

Mine look great. Thanks Felicia for organizing!!!!!

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  9. FeliciaLynn

You're very welcome, David. I'm glad you like them!

I took a bunch of photos today when I was opening the box and repacking them in the deli containers for you guys, so here they are!

Picking up the box from Fedex. It got to ride in style! Yes, I have a moped :)
    [​IMG]

Got the box home safely!
    [​IMG]

Lily had to inspect everything as usual. Then she decided to lay down and watch the whole process.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repacking the anemones into deli containers. This is the $20 group.
    [​IMG]

Tons of beautiful anemones!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are my 3 settled into my tank. The solid orange/red one, the bright orange with green tentacles, and the pink and light blue striped ones are my new ones. The rainbow one and the bright green one are from a past order with VIP Reef.
    [​IMG]

And here are some shots of my 3 when they first came out of the box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  10. FeliciaLynn

You're very welcome! I'm glad you're happy with it :)

Kara13 likes this.
  11. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Thanks so much for everything, Felicia - wish I had bought more!!! (I bought one of each size and of course the big one floated away after more than an hour sitting there happily I thought securely - luckily, I was able to catch it!) I hope we do this again but I guess getting 100 more is a stretch?!)

12. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Is it too late to get in, I'll take 3 of the $40 ones... I kid I kid! They look really neat though, seems like a good fun anemone to have in a tank without too much worry about it destroying everything in sight on the way to find a good spot... only to move elsewhere and destroy everything in sight :D

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  13. FeliciaLynn

They will do that on occasion if they really don't like the spot they were put in. Luckily they're usually pretty sticky and will just walk instead of floating. Maybe try putting that one in the deli container with some rubble rock and just set that in a low flow section of your tank for a couple days. Then once the anemone is firmly attached you can place the rock its on where you want it and it should walk if it wants instead of floating.

I want more already too! Haha! I have a problem. Actually, it sounds like this could potentially happen again in the future, so I'll keep my eye out and let you know.

Geneva likes this.
  14. FeliciaLynn

Haha! They really are very neat, hardy little anemones. I have one of mine touching up against my undata with no issues and one of mine is nestled down in a colony of zoanthids with no issues. They can sting but it must not be very strong or aggressive. Now that I know that, I don't worry at all if mine decide to walk.

15. Merith

Merith Guest

That is good to know, I grabbed some sand out of the 60 last night and placed them both in a little Tupperware container with the sand. As of this morning they both had moved to the sides of the container so they might be going for a walk today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. FeliciaLynn

They generally like to stick their foot to something hard, so they probably won't stay on the sand. I'd give them some rubble rock in the tupperware if you want to do it that way. Otherwise, you can just stick them to a rock or a frag plug if you want them to sit on your sandbed.

17. Merith

Merith Guest

I had read somewhere that they would burry their foot in the sand and grab on to the bottom of the tank if you had shallow sand. Thus I figured they might do the same in a container with a little sand. If they move to much I might try giving them a frag plug to stick to. Right now their in the frag tank as I'm pretty sure the Copperband will munch on them given their current size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. FeliciaLynn

That's true. If the sand is shallow enough, they might do that. I don't have much experience with them on sand since my group of them is all on my rock work.

19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Mine moved to the bottom of the tank and stuck its foot on the bottom of the sandbed. I pried him off and put him on a rock with a hole. He's happy there now

20. Kara13

Kara13 Guest

I put all 3 of mine on a rock. Only 1 of the 3 moved an inch or so during the night. They look great.