Rock Flower Nem Group Buy

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Merith, Jul 12, 2015.

1. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I empathize with doing a nice thing for folks that ends up being overwhelming.

I'd be glad to help organize or receive a group buy in the future. Perhaps with an order this big we could get a couple of volunteers from each club to help with the centralized receiving, acclimating, and packing and also the distribution to the different clubs.

I also wish I had bought 3 more of these guys. I'm looking forward to seeing how these two do.

Klems likes this.
  2. Merith

Merith Guest

If it wasn't for my nerve disorder it really wouldn't have been to bad I don't think. The RSD/CRPS affects both feet and most of one leg so just makes it tough having to be on my feet so much. Everything before they arrived was slightly stressful but pretty easy for me as much of my time is spent in bed or aty desk so doing stuff on the computer isn't to bad. One of the changes I will make next time is to not try and do a pickup the same day they arrive or if I do the same format maybe plan it better and have a representative from some of the clubs come and pickup their groups nems and handle distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Merith

Merith Guest

Mom and I ended up with similar thoughts and feelings regarding the delivery. We would be more than happy to do another one for bar members as even with all the delay and stress it was actually really fun doing the delivery and drawing with you guys. I just wish I would have been more with it cause it dawned on me after I was like half way home that I could have grabbed a spare kessil and powered it with the car so the nems could have been check out and oooohhhhh and aaahhhh right there lol. The second pickup we did yesterday was a much different feel and well let's just say it was an entirely different atmosphere than yall.

4. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Here are my two nems I picked up last week. The second one moved to the back side of the rock I tried to place it on the first night. (very dark back there....maybe its shy)

IMG_20150717_071458.jpg IMG_20150720_103921551_HDR.jpg

5. Merith

Merith Guest

Any updates? The ones I ended up with are doing quite well, a few of them have colored up to be pretty insane, I'll try and get some pics in the next few days if I'm able. As far as I know only 2 out of the entire order didn't do well so pretty good considering the amount that was ordered. Gonna be several months but now that I've had some time to recover I'm looking forward to doing another one of these down the road. If the response and messages I've gotten since this buy is any indication I may have to take several of you up on your offers to help as it's looking like the next one is going to end up being much larger even possibly double the amount from this order.

6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Mine are doing great dude.

I just did a HUGE aqua scape change for my 40 gallon. Pretty much moved all of the rocks around. Will have to update my tank journal.

Once I'm done playing with Aqua scape epoxy I'll put my rockflower nem in the tank with my other nems. I remember the last time I got messy with the epoxy my corals looked like they just went through chemotherapy.

All 3 of my nems are stilll sitting in the plastic cup I put them in couple weeks ago. All brightly colored. Expanded. Mouth is tight/closed.

I moved 1 to Jill's (Ahruk)'s tank and we it put it where we wanted it to be. It moved about half an inch and has stayed there since.

7. Merith

Merith Guest

Good to hear man. I managed to snag a pic of a few of mine that colored up nicely. Sadly they are not quite as happy as I would like. I'm not sure if it was the addition of these guys or what but I'm having a hell of a time keeping my alk up for some reason which seems to be annoying them a little they seem to do ok at around 8.5+ but shrink up quite a bit when it drops below that not sure if it's due to the lower alk or just because the parameters are fluctuating. I'm gonna try changing the carbon again and see if that helps a little as well. After cycling over 100 of them through my system I'm guessing there is a fair bit of toxins still left in the water as well.

8. Merith

Merith Guest

You know it prolly helps if I actually include the picture lol. iPhone 5 shot with a gel filter, shot in the water, under 100% kessil blue. No edits. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438016635.575167.jpg

Nav and Enderturtle like this.
  9. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Mine haven't really changed colors. They came in looking awesome :)

10. Merith

Merith Guest

I held on to several that were kind of blah but looked like they had potential and all but the one that crawled under the frag racks have turned into something quite nice. I'll try and get some more pics soon. Really interested in how their looking for everyone and if anyone else is experiencing any color changes or if its just a result of something in my system.

11. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

The two I purchased are happy and healthy in the system. I did not get any of the crazy colors but they're nice.

Black body w/ Red Tentacles:
    [​IMG]

Neon Yellow body w/ White Tentacles:
    [​IMG]

Merith likes this.
  12. 650-IS350

650-IS350 Supporting Member

Merith, those nems look sweet. Love the pink one.

With the GB, how much did each one end up costing?

13. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I think I paid 18$ for each of the 4 I bought.

IMG_0392.jpg

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Mine doing well with no movement. One was very blah, but just starting showing some more color

15. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Here are a few of mine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438031408.741059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438031448.554064.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438031494.072094.jpg

There 2 more in weird places in the corners. I'll try to get some pictures. They've developed some fringing colors.

I keep my Alk pretty high, 10.5+ and feed them as much as I can when I feed the fish at night.

Merith likes this.
  16. 650-IS350

damn can't believe I missed that group buy.

are these risk of being fish eaters? like mini carpets

17. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

This is my opinion based on my observations with my rockflower anemone.

I've had a hermit crab fall onto the anemone and got too close. When the crab touched the anemone it was instantly pulled in when the anemone closed and the anemone ate the hermit crab. But then the anemone couldn't digest it or something and when it opened back up, the hermit crab walked away.

I've had 2 big rockflowers in my tank for over a year. Two clownfish and a small blue tang. They don't go near the rockflower anemone.

I feel like if a fish were to try and host the rockflower or got too close. It would become food. They're very sticky. My tyree elegance coral is sticky-er than these rockflower anemones.

So I would say yes they can eat fish if the opportunity was right, but it's unlikely.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  18. 650-IS350

Im more worried about perching fish like gobies or blennies

19. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

My Clown Goby has stayed away from all my anemones. Its stayed away from my duncans, elegance, torch and hammers. Only perch on my Acan/Bowerbanki/Chalice/Zoas.

20. Merith

Merith Guest

I have a tail spot blennie in the tank where the two from last years buy used to reside, I know I've seen him near them in the past but he's still kicking so either he didn't get caught or they werent interested in eating them. The copperband I am currently housing in that tank made pretty quick work of the rock nems when I missed a feeding one night, hasn't touched the long tentacle one I have in there some days, hes an odd bugger stays in the tank for a week or so and looks all happy, then some how ends up in the overflow.