Rock Question

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Jeff Rehling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jeff Rehling

Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

I have live rock in my tank and it's been up just over a year. My rocks have those little spiny snails that secrete mucas to feed. I'm getting 50lbs or rock tomorrow from Marco. How many current live rocks can I remove and replace with the uncured rock and not affect the chemistry of the tank?

I would like to completely replace my current rock.

Thanks!

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

I would put them in before removing the other rocks to get them seeded.

3. xcaret

xcaret Guest

Oh man, I would cycle them separate.
    You can get a bin from Costco and start the cycle in it.

4. Gablami

Gablami Guest

If the reason why you’re doing this is to try to eliminate vermetid snails from your system, I would advise you not to try. It is nearly impossible to keep vermetid from your system. Many have tried, and I have yet to meet anyone who has kept them out.

The good news for me is that with time they seem to be receding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RandyC likes this.
  5. Kremis

Kremis Guest

sounds like a lot of work for little reason..... those snails dont do a whole lot

6. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I'd agree with this. You can't avoid them and it also seems for me that they eventually dwindled in numbers.

If you're planning on still putting in that new rock, my preference would be to cure/cycle in a separate bin rather than risk a cycle in your tank.

7. Coral reefer

You haven't seen the number of them on his rocks. They are COVERED! They definitely irritate corals imo.

8. Coral reefer

I would agree to a point, but the amount he has Ian otter the overwhelming. Like totally covered.

9. Kremis

Kremis Guest

oh didnt know, I can see how they can be a lot worse in large numbers

10. Jeff Rehling

But, if I'm using Marco rocks, there shouldn't be a cycle, as nothing is on them to die off...

11. Jeff Rehling

I just had a thought, if i most of my DT rock and place it in the sump, i could still have the filtration benefit while my marco rocks cure or whatever it's called. They won't cycle, because their manufactured and not mined. Correct?? They shouldn't create any ammonia