Kessil

Rock Ready question

So i've had my Marco rocks in saltwater with flow and heat as well as BioSpira. Question is why do I need the flow, and when will these rocks be aquarium ready?

You need flow because the bacteria you're trying to cultivate is aerobic bacteria and needs oxygen. So flow and surface agitation will provide that. Rocks will need to be cured/cycled like any other rock. Once ammonia and nitrites are undetectable after they spike and only nitrates remain. Did you provide a source of ammonia (via organic material on rock, shrimp or dosing ammonium hydroxide [or ammonium chloride])? If not, you're not providing a food source for bacteria to multiply.

no because Marco Rocks are supposed to be pure. I seasoned my tub with biospira

Bacteria in biospira still needs something to eat.

If you're trying to seed the rock with bacteria then you need to feed it to multiply. If you're trying to put these in an already establish and cycled tank and they're clean, i.e., produce no ammonia or nitrite, go ahead and put them in the tank.

You can still cycle without flow or heat but it just goes slower. Something for it to eat is pretty important though. I did the same thing you did with my first setup too. I have some of the dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride if you want to use it. I’m in San Jose.

Back