got ethical husbandry?

Roc's 120 version 2.0 - FOWLR tank

Roc

After having no tank for over a year, I am going to restart my 120, only this time I think I will stay away from corals due to time constants. I havent started cycling yet, so stocking is a little ways away, but I am getting the bug, and usually for me when that happens I'm all over it.

SO Far this is the equipment I have

120 gallon Tru Vue tank (2'X2'X4") with center overflow.
55 gallon custom sump
2 WP60 powerheads (5300GPH each)
Aqua Euro AEPS135 skimmer
Ehiem 1262 return pump (898 gph)

Reefbrite all blue
Reefbrite 50/50

I have a lot of other equpiment laying around, lights, powerheads, pumps etc which may get used and may not depending on my scape and needs

So I am contemplating doing some work on the tank this weekend and wanted to run an idea by the group. A good friend Jim (bookfish) once told me the best way to set up a flow in your tank is to have it flow from one side to the other in a circle, my tank has a center overflow with return holes on both sides. My thinking this time was to only use one side of the return (right side) and block the other hole (lift side), and then stick my 2 power heads on the right side of the tank pushing water high and low from right to left. I was going to also use some stuff i have laying around to bring the return water lower into the tank (before i just had an 90 elbow pushing kinda down and to the front)

Is this a good idea or not?

Well got some work done this weekend, not much but its a start.

I rebuilt my stand and saw I have a couple areas I need to improve on before skinning it. I want to go with a darker skin this time (last time i used maple) since we have gotten a lot of new furniture and all of it is a darker color wood.

I got the skimmer and my duel GFO/Carbon unit soaking in some vinegar (interestingly when i broke down the tank I ruthlessly cleaned my pumps and power heads but not my skimmer or reactor. Those should be clean by tonight. I need to redo how my skimmer pump is connected since it always had an issue of freezing up and being hard to restart.

Im going to try and get all the pluming parts together this week and start buffing the inside of my tank.

Maple is fine just need to stain it dark to match your existing furniture. The thing to worry about is the grain of the wood i.e. maple and oak will not look anything alike

Maple is fine just need to stain it dark to match your existing furniture. The thing to worry about is the grain of the wood i.e. maple and oak will not look anything alike
When i broke the tank down I used the mable for a building project so thats gone, gonna get new stuff....(I love new stuff)

When i broke the tank down I used the mable for a building project so thats gone, gonna get new stuff....(I love new stuff)
I've always been partial to walnut which is easy to stain dark.
image.jpeg (This is a very light stain).

African mahogany is another one that's easy to stain dark and is a little cheaper than walnut. American cherry would also be a good contender and is still cheaper than the mahogany.

I've always been partial to walnut which is easy to stain dark.
View attachment 4839 (This is a very light stain).

African mahogany is another one that's easy to stain dark and is a little cheaper than walnut. American cherry would also be a good contender and is still cheaper than the mahogany.
Nice stand. Im going a little darker then that but I plan on swinging by American Hardwoods and picking some nice pre-stained dark laminate up to finish the stand

So Im trying to figure out what sizr lock line to get, if I have a 1 1/2" hole that takes a 3/4 bulkhead right, so I would want a 3/4" lock line adapter? I ask becuase thats what im seeing for sale, but i have one at home that has a 1/2 screw in, may be a 3/4 inch lock line pieces though just not that familar

Got a couple of things for the tank yesterday. Picked up some new 2X4's so I can support the tank stand without having a middle support, that way I can slip the sump in and out if needed (old sump literally had to be put in through the side which meant it couldn't be removed without dismantling the tank stand). I got ripped some down into 1X1's (sort of) to make the lid (trying to keep it light) Got some Unions and pipe to redo the plumbing. Got a new pump for my skimmer and some bulkheads showing up today.

Now I need to set up my RO/DI unit, and start making some saltwater, that will really get me going to get this thing built.

Well I got some work today, got the stand rebuilt, just need to get the skin, doors put on, I got my new skimmer pump breaking in and I got my RO/DI unit hooked up and starting a barrel of water

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 281
I got a little father along today, got some more work on the stand done, gonna use this 1/2" ply for the top, inside and top, and then everything will get skinned in 1/8" 3 ply philippine mahogany . I am gonna end up staining the whole thing with black stain to match the rest of my furniture . Also started making some salt water, gonna pick up a large storage container now that I have room, but gonna start with just my 20 gallon tote until I get it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 277
thats a really nice stand.

Well i reached a hiccup in my building plans, on Sat while i was working on the tank i made a rookie mistake, and the screw gun slipped on the screw and went right through my left thumb, right though the nail and finger. After lots of blood clean up, my lightheadedness prevented me from doing any more real work. I did get another 35 gallon trash can which im using to keepo some salt water mixing, and will be used in the future for keeping it mixed for WC and for emergencies.

That sucks. I never did it that bad but I've had that happen a couple times. I'd get a plus sign on my finger for a week. Boy does it hurt too.

That sucks. I never did it that bad but I've had that happen a couple times. I'd get a plus sign on my finger for a week. Boy does it hurt too.
Mine went stright through the nail and my finger, no plus sign just a hole. Oh feels great when you get it in the saltwater as well :tu

Back