Neptune Aquatics

Roc's 120 version 2.0 - FOWLR tank

Thanks haven't ever had a non coral tank and I find myself wanting more action
Consider adding a halimedia plant or maidens hair plant.
Or if there are no herbivores on your list, there are some really nice colorful kelp.
And plants will help with Nitrates.

So I am getting very worried that my eel isn't alive, I have tried to add food to where I think he is and today tried holding a feeder guppy in the area I think he was hiding, no sighting. It has now been in the tank since June 22nd and I haven't seen him since the 26th. Any seggustions that don't envole me tearing apart the rock work would be great

I'm wondering should I try digging out where the eel was and see if I see movement, or just figure he died under the rocks

Have you noticed a spike in nitrates showing that something is decomposing? Your tank is new enough you may see elevated amonia and nitrites too.

Have you noticed a spike in nitrates showing that something is decomposing? Your tank is new enough you may see elevated ammonia and nitrites too.
No spike at all, seems like my feeding schedule and my skimming are working equally well, i did some extra tests to see if the ammonia jumped from a possible eel death, and saw nothing. The place the eel went is very hard to see from the outside of the tank, and like i said I can see what looks like the entrance to a burrow. I could reach in the face of the rock and gently dig back some of the sand without disturbing the rock work to see if he is in there but just ducking in the hole when we try and find him. or maybe uncover remains, not sure what to do, I have a kick ass ell home built right into my tank and I want an ell, but weary of getting another one (that I do a much better job of guiding to the right place) until I'm sure this one is gone.

Im not bummed yet, because i have no real evidence of what happened. Years ago I had a shrimp that went missing, 6 moths later i saw it again and it was HUGE and had been eating very well buried in the rocks

Once, a long time ago, when I had a snowflake eel, I woke up to find him on the floor underneath my tank stand. He'd probably been there for a couple of hours, but he recovered quickly once I tossed him back in the tank.

If you haven't already, maybe check your overflow?

Once, a long time ago, when I had a snowflake eel, I woke up to find him on the floor underneath my tank stand. He'd probably been there for a couple of hours, but he recovered quickly once I tossed him back in the tank.

If you haven't already, maybe check your overflow?
Hadn't thought of that, ill check tonight, anyone got thoughts on the dig out the sand where i think he was seen last?

I just looked at your last fts. You don't have much rockwork in there. It wouldn't be much work to move it around to see if he's in there. If he's alive though it may freak him out again.

I just looked at your last fts. You don't have much rockwork in there. It wouldn't be much work to move it around to see if he's in there. If he's alive though it may freak him out again.
yea true BUTTTTTTT the rock work on the right side was constructed very very carefully to sit on top of the PVC eel home I made and if I move it there is a great chance that I wont get it back together right and as sturdy as it is now.

I did dig out a bit around where I saw him go in and have not seen any sign that he is still alive

Well I've given up on the eel, got a couple plants from reef cleaners and a small piece of a DBTC plant from Erin, I don't know the final outcome yet, but the DBTC piece was gone within 24 hours, the ones from reef cleaners are holding on still.

Looking to add some more fish, was looking at the following

Pinkface Wrasse
Magnificent Foxface
Mystery Wrasse
Achilles Tang
Snowflake eel

Back