Cali Kid Corals

Roc's 1st Big reef

I don't like noise at all. I saw the link you posted before but frankly I didn't understand from that thread how the pieces were cut. The fittings of the inside of my bulkheads are screw ins so I could change them whenever I want.

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/mods/stockman.htm

How about that?

If not..
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KS-ASE-1&Category_Code=

8)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3622.msg42436#msg42436 date=1210006078]
Is a flooded drain what Eileen has on her big tank? (aka, firefish home #2)
[/quote]

Nada - I have a durso standpipe. It "was" a firefish home

The easiest way of describing it in terms of water movement in regards to sound I can think of would be, say you have 500 gph of water flowing through your filtration system, and two drains, one stand pipe being lower than the other and having a gate valve. The lower one carries the bulk of the water say 400-450 GPH, this is achieved through the tuning of the gate valve. The second stand pipe is run wide open and only has to carry 50-100 GPH, in that situation you are not drawing enough air (ideally no air) to create any gurgling effect.

I hope that's clear :p

[quote author=Elite link=topic=3622.msg42435#msg42435 date=1210005403]
Jeremy, what is the flooded drain? I see it mention several times on this thread but I don't what it is. ;D
[/quote]

the flooded drain design is you have 2 drains the lower drain is set (using ball valve) to drain 98% of the water, the 2nd taller pipe is set right at the level the standing water is in the overflow box and accepts 2% of the draining water.

In my case the taller drain pipe will empty into my fuge giving it less flow and a better chance of growing pods(if I try to do that) and the shorter drain will empty into my sump campartment with the skimmer.

Edit* tuberiders explanation is better

tank update:

I now have about 45-50lbs of live rock in the tank and about 60 gallons of water. The water is going slowly becuase I haven't finished the plumbing underneath the cabinet yet and figured why hurry up when it can't get to the overflow just yet.

Through everyones help I did finaly figure out that I could have finished the plumbing days ago but I am slightly retarded and didn't notice that the bulkheads are threaded on the inside and thats how you connect them to the PVC :duh .

I drilled 2 holes in the top of the tank (rear corners) to run the powerhead cords out of the tank without looking fuguly and both powerheads and a heater are in the water with the LR and sand( about 15 lbs of the sand is also Live)

I started doing the baffles for the sump yesterday but the stupid glass company cut 2 of the pieces wrong so I will finish that up tonight.

My return pump should be here wed or thursday and I hope to also have all the plumbing done and waiting to go when it gets here, I will most likely get a fill up of the rest of the tank when I can connect the pump.

I need to find a place close to work or home that sells black 3/4" PVC, 90 degree fittings or regular elbows so I can direct the return flow away from the overflow box.

I am really hoping that I have the same luck I did last time and have a quick cycle so I can break down the 20 and move the livestock over to their new home.

Black PVC is hard to come by, there is so much pigment used in the process of making it that it drives up the cost, so not too many people buy it. I've used ABS in the past without any issues, or a sharpie until the PVC gets encrusted. If you use white PVC it wont be long before it becomes coated in crap, and is not so unsightly.

And my usual hardware post to the rescue!

www.mcmaster.com

Part Number: 9159K12
$11.99 Each
Elbow Type Pipe to Pipe Female 90° Elbow
Schedule 80
Pipe Size 3/4"
Pipe to Pipe Connection Socket-Weld x Socket-Weld
Material Polypropylene
Maximum Pressure (psi) 330
Color Black

well, it isn't made of PVC and it is a very low demand item. The only reason PVC fittings (normal white ones) are so cheap is because of the extremely high demand for them (in comparison)

is it for external? pain it with plastic paint. There is a brand OSH sell that is safe to use. I even use it inside the tank without any problem.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=3622.msg42575#msg42575 date=1210137296]
Use an ABS piece. I'll ck the price at Paganos in the next day or 2
[/quote]

you keep telling me to go there but it is just so damn far outta my way, guess I might need to bite the bullet and just go.

And Elite is is for the internal returns so I don't really want to paint any

Back