Roc's 1st Big reef

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Roc, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Roc

Roc Guest

1st update for the new year.

Tank was started in May 08, and I am pretty happy with it. I will be switching out a true actinic bulb for a aquablue special, and depending on the lighting maybe switching out the aquasun for a aquablue special as well. When I do that I'm going to change my lighting so that the 1st 2 hours of the day is just the 2 blue plus bulbs, with a aquasun 10,000K, True Actinic 03, and Aquablue special coming on for 8 hours, then back to 2 blue plus for an hour before lights out.

I have also been thinking about some more fish for this tank. Thinking maybe 4 green cromis or something simlar would add some movement that would be nice. I toyed with the idea of getting another Tang, but I'm not sure what would be a good fit with the 2 I have now.

Here are some updated pics

FTS

[​IMG]

Chalice from BAR's DBTC program

[​IMG]

THis chalice has grown a lot since I fragged it for the last swap

[​IMG]

This red millie looks a lot different then when I got it, less hairy. Maybe it's in to much direct flow???

[​IMG]

Sunset Monti from Creig, mounted to a flat rock for easy future fragging (GO DBTC)

[​IMG]

I got this devils hand leather at the lucky goldfish swap last year, it has tripled in size since then

[​IMG]

This is the Neptunes Fire Acan (DBTC), it's changed quite a bit in color since I got it.

[​IMG]

Ric/Yuma/Shoom/Acan/Favia corner

[​IMG]

Some of my other Acans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the frag I got from Marc at the neptunes swap, seems like it's had some good growth.

[​IMG]

***** The next day******

Well Me and the family made a San Jo LFS run today. Started at Max's and showed the kids the big tanks and sharks, next it was over to LGF to take a look at the new tanks and meet up with will for a trade. Then we stopped by Neptunes and saw Robert. I picked up 2 Aquablue Special bulbs from Robert. Now my bulbs are set-up like this

Aquablue Special 12000K - on at 10Am off at 6PM
    Blue Plus - On at 8AM off at 7PM
    True Actinic 03 - On at 10Am off at 6PM
    Blue Plus - On at 8AM off at 7PM
    Aquablue Special 12000K - on at 10Am off at 6PM

Or I almost forgot the trade I did with will, I picked this up

[​IMG]

2. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Nice pics and it looks like things are going well on the tank - Congrats! :D

3. Roc

Roc Guest

Things have finally hit the not losing and harder corals growing stage. I had a lot of learning time regarding SPS, and it took me months to figure out about what I needed to dose.

Things are going OK now but I think the new light combo will make a world of difference as I only had the 1 10000k bulb and 2 actinics with the (kinda) actinic Blue plus bulbs. With the new combo I have 2 12000K bulbs, still have the blue plus bulbs and 1 actinic that comes on with the 12000K bulbs so that shouyld give me a little better growth........

4. Roc

Roc Guest

Well I realized that I hadn't updated in a little while.

FTS

[​IMG]

New Monti from Bryan

[​IMG]

SPS frags from Jan NCNRS swap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of newer acans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots under normal lighting and then Blue +

Orange Crush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of Blue + shots of some Ric's and yumas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now................................

5. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Looking good as always Seamus!

6. Vento

Vento Guest

Looking great bro!!!

7. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

I really adore your tank man. Good job.

8. Roc

Roc Guest

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, some day I hope to have this thing really filled out, cuz then and only then can I talk about going bigger.........rofl

9. CookieJar

CookieJar Guest

nice pieces, I especially like the neon green of the newer acan you posted. Also, thanks for the trade on sat- the chalice is looking great!

10. Roc

Roc Guest

[quote author=CookieJar link=topic=3622.msg75737#msg75737 date=1232417697]
    nice pieces, I especially like the neon green of the newer acan you posted. Also, thanks for the trade on sat- the chalice is looking great!
    [/quote]

As is the acan, I couldn't get a good pic of it but the blue + bring out some great oranges in that piece.

11. Roc

Roc Guest

Most of you now know I had to take this entire tank down last week, but I wanted to put up some pics of how it looks post breakdown, with it's new scape. Forgive the pics, I didn't clean the glass and there was a buch of mirco bubbles.

FTS

[​IMG]

Right Island

[​IMG]

Left Island

[​IMG]

Valley

[​IMG]

Zoa garden (bottom of left island)

[​IMG]

Ric, Yuma and Acan garden (bottom of Right Island)

[​IMG]

12. adolfo425

adolfo425 Guest

Man that is looking really nice there Roc.

Adolfo

13. Lyn

Lyn Guest

I see your fish like swimmng in your valley! I like your rock work, tank looks great, good recovery Seamus!

14. Roc

Roc Guest

Thanks Adolfo and Lyn. Yea the fish are loving the new look, it's actually made the tangs swim around a lot more.

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[img ] dodging a bullet[/ img]

Good to see everything worked out for you and the animals!

16. Crabby

Crabby Guest

Looks super!

17. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Guest

wow..nice set up Roc. I personally like your rock works and the first sump design with the Fuge raised up. Do you have a latest pic of the sump area. I'm looking for ideas on Fuge design. thanks

18. Roc

Roc Guest

I went with the last one posted. Basicly I have dual overflows, the one that takes 5% of the water flows to a DSB fuge, and the overflow drain which moves 95% of my water flows to the oppsite end of a 55 gal. the side with 97% of the water has all water flow through some LR , then to a skimmer, through a bubble trap and to the return section, the fuge side just flows bottom to top and overflows into the return.

19. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

Hey Rock, your rock work is looking fantastic! I really like the valley look.

20. Roc

Roc Guest

Thats a lot, I actually like it a lot more then I did my old scape. It's funny how life hands you lemons aand you can made some great lemonade.