got ethical husbandry?

Roc's Tank crashing

Roc

yesterday I woke up to find my powerstrip wasn't working. I wasn't sure how long it had been down, but I jimmy rigged some stuff up to get the pumps, heater working. The biggest issue was my skimmer wouldn't come on. I messed with it for awhile and then I went to work leaving the tank blacked out and skimmerless.

When I got home I plugged the lights on and everything looked OK, not great but not horrible. I tried to mess with the skimmer some more to no avail. After I looked at the skimmer plug, it looks like it may have been the cause of the powerstrip failure. I called a friend who said he had an extra pump I could borrow, so I went and grabbed it.

by the time I got back the tank wasn't looking so hot. all the zoas wee closed, acans were shrunk, SPS looked to be losing color, just not good. I tried to get the other pump working but it wouldn't, turns out the shaft was broken.

I was exusted and basicly realized there was nothing I could do, so I went to bed hoping that the zoas, and acans had just gotten pissed because of the short light cycle I had run.

well this morning it doesn't look any better, in fact much worse. SPS looks worse, zoas and acan the same, I am mixing up 35 gallons of water, and I am going to go buy a pump and some carbon when the store opens, not much else I can do, but wait it out.

If I lose everything not sure what to do, this will mark my 2nd time losing most of everything in a year (last time was a tank leak back in Feb), I'm a little discouraged

Sorry to hear that Imus. I hope you are able to salvage some of your livestock. Perhaps some of the others who've dealt with "meltdowns" can offer advice.

sorry to hear. As long as the tissue didn't all slough away, then you will be ok. Bleached and retracted and angry is ok. It sucks, but simply waiting patiently with good conditions and it will all return. I've been through a total near-tank-nuke where everything went white. I was persistent and almost everything came back full turn in a few months of perseverance :)

In the meantime, you way want to also run a bit more carbon then you usually do.

Picking up a pump and some carbon when the store opens, I did a 35 gallon water change this morning, and I have another 20 gallons mixing now.

yea this sucks for real. As of right now I donno about any of the SPS except for a couple of pieces, most everything is grey or white. Some have obviously kicked the bucket, but the ones that have tissue still will for sure stay in the tank as I have brought them back before.

I got the skimmer working with a make shift venturi idea, but I think it will need re-thinking for the long term. It's a much stronger pump then I had before and currently there are a lot of mirco bubble in the tank, which just make it look worse. No fish seem to have been lost and the clam is fine. All the soft stuff looks like it will recover fine, nems are starting to puff back up, acans are out and happy looking. I still have another 20 gallons of SW mixed up, but I am gonna wait to do that change.

You can be like me and hold on to the "dead" skeletons for a while. You'd be surprised at how little tissue you need to make a come back :)

Gomer said:
You can be like me and hold on to the "dead" skeletons for a while. You'd be surprised at how little tissue you need to make a come back :)

at this pont I have no plans to remove anything. NCRC has a swap in the end of Jan, I will see where I am by then and think about how and what to restock

Depending on how long the power was out, I would guess it would be the temperature drop. I've run skimmerless for a week straight with no problems.

Some people run their tanks without skimmers; that said I am going to agree and think it is the temperature that caused majority of the damage. How low did it drop?

You might also want to consider picking up a controller when you start rebuilding your tank. My AC3 controller has saved me many times by emailing/texting me when the temp dropped or the PH spiked, etc.

What I think was the main cause of the massive deaths was the fact that some loss had happened and I had no skimmer, so the temp and not flow in the tank started it, but the fact I didn't have a skimmer to clean up the water caused more death

LPS and softies seem to have faired OK, the SPS looks pretty bad. Being that some of these pieces survived the issues I had back in FB when the tank leaked, I will diffently leave them in for awhile to see how they come back. I thaink I have lost the following completely

Alfred maricultured arco
Mark the shark acro
surf and turf
green slimer
rascos blue
Incredible hulk acro
satosa

the rest of the SPS looks bleached out, but still has tissue.

Good news, clams are open, Nems are open, zoas and acan expand when light is on. Fish all look healthly

The RKL-1 (Basic) may be a good place to start for some future "insurance". Expandable including web capable in a few weeks.
I like the apex more, but for basic stuff, it's hard to beat the $100 package.

It's nice to see that the controllers have come down so much. For $100 -$149 (ACJr) you really should have a controller on every tank.

Well I can see myself getting a controlor soon, but in this instance it wouldn't have mattered cuz I turn my phone off at night and it happened while we slept

Back