RODI Replacement Cannisters

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeff Rehling, May 10, 2019.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

135 isn’t so bad imo, I had 660 when I lived in Santa Barbara. It’s whats in the ppm more so than the number anyway.
    Seems like you should be getting lower ppm out of the membrane. Only reducing 90% seems a little low. I though it was supposed to be closer to 98%. Obviously depends what’s in the tds and temperature and pressure you push it through at as well tho.

ofzakaria likes this.
  2. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Same here for testing locations, but what is your output after carbon blocks? Mine is higher after carbon than straight from the tap.

3. ofzakaria

ofzakaria Supporting Member

Yup my membrane need changing. It's so so so old am just milking it ha ha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. ofzakaria

I can check today and report. These numbers are on top of my head. But will update.

5. Coral reefer

That doesn’t seem right to me. Is that the case when they are new?

6. Coral reefer

It’s probably more economical to change it rather then go through di resin faster which you are doing this way.

7. ofzakaria

I think he agreed with the location of the tds prob not with the values I mentioned...

8. Coral reefer

@MolaMola is Maureen, a she. And I don’t understand what you are saying here.

9. ofzakaria

I bet it is.
    The honest truth is that opening the membrane canister was such a pain I am so lazy to go over it again and will prob just buy full canister and filter together ha ha

10. Coral reefer

I’ll take your old membrane housing when you’re ready to toss it.

ofzakaria likes this.
  11. ofzakaria

Apologies, I meant to say, she was saying her system have the same location for the tds meters that I have. To which you replyed something is wrong. So I said she is not talking about tds reading.

12. ofzakaria

Oh it's yours. I have 2 cause I run the 150gph enhanced from BRS so its 2 to membranes.
    They yours once I get new ones.
    They were absolut pain to open OMG..

13. Coral reefer

No, I replied it doesn’t seem right that tds would go up after her prefilters. Nothing to do with you at all.

14. ofzakaria

Oh oh, then i missunderstood.
    But why you think it's wrong? You can have as much tds meters as you like and any stage you like..what's the harm?

15. Coral reefer

Misunderstanding again. I’m taliking about tds increasing after prefilters. Nothing about meters.

16. ofzakaria

Ha ha got it.
    Am gonna get out of this thread and gather my shattered dignity ha ha ha

17. Jeff Rehling

Jeff Rehling Supporting Member

I have fits getting the canisters unscrewed from the RODI unit.

ofzakaria likes this.
  18. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

My sediment and 2 carbons were less than two months old but I changed them because tap TDS was less than post-carbon. Unfortunately, I always mean to keep track of the volume of water processed but never do. Now, tap is 170 and post-carbon is 200. I was careful to rinse the carbon a lot, too.
    Water filtration is always messing with me! Added a second DI canister as I think @Coral reefer suggested to pair old one with a new one. Got a second RO membrane to add to my getting-old membrane but haven't hooked it up yet. I think I go thru all my media too quickly. YEP = I need to measure how much water I process. I will consider the meters I have seen discussed in the forum so it actually gets done.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  19. Coral reefer

Do you have the filter canister wrench? If you have that and it’s hard you are putting them in WAY too tightly

20. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

The only way I can possibly think why your TDS is higher after is simply due to how the TDS is being read.

My first thought is swap the probes from before and after prefilters, make sure both are aligned in the same fashion with respect to the water they're going through.

My second thought is because TDS meters work on measuring conductivity perhaps when the water is "dirtier" it doesn't conduct as much, giving you an false positive... and a little googling shows this
    "Since, activated carbon does not remove most inorganic compounds from water; TDS is not an effective way of measuring the product performance. In fact, carbon adds some inorganic compounds to the water. As water passes by carbon, trace amounts of some inorganic compounds dissolve in the water. These compounds can be potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate and carbon dioxide. Therefore, activated carbon can increase a measurement of the TDS. This effect is more pronounced with a new filter. As a filter is used this effect decreases because these inorganic materials are flushed out of the carbon. "

Coral reefer likes this.