Kessil

Roger's 3 Gallon Pico

Hello, All.

I figured I'd start a tank journal for my little desktop experiment. I bought a used 4 gallon (or so) pico on Craigslist that came with a HOB filter and a heater (that I replaced). Started the cycle on 1/18/'14 with 1.6 pounds of live rock, 2.2 pounds of dry rock, and about a pound of rock from my year old BC14. Also threw in 4-5 pounds of dry sand and added a cup of sand from my established tank.

Here's the rest of it:

Equipment
ViaAqua 50-Watt Heater
Rio Plus 50 PH
10-Watt 14000K LED (ebay)
TOM Aqua Lifter + Timer as ATO
Unknown Mini HOB Filter

Corals
Orange Monti Digitata
Blue Acro
Blue Digitata
Thin Branched Frogspawn
Kedd's Reds Zoas
Aussie Platygyra
Candy Apple Pocillipora

Inverts
Blue Maxima Clam
Unknown Hermit Crab
2 Sexy Shrimp

Other Livestock
Green Banded Goby
Mini Carpet Anemone

20140410_133007.jpg

20140410_135654.jpg

After having unreliable ups and downs with this tank and pretty much neglecting it, I've decided to spend more time with it. The clam and maze brain have been moved to my main tank. Right now, the nem is still in there as well as a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. Everything else died. I have a devil's hand leather and an unknown chalice. Just added 1.3 pounds of rock and an in-tank refugium with a small bit of chaeto. Have since gotten rid of the Aqualifter as a top off and am using a bottle of water. Also got rid of about 2/3 of the sand.

Added a tsp of charcoal and a 1/2 tsp of GFO into the HOB. 38PAR bulb arrived from China today and should get the swing arm desk lamp I ordered on Monday.

20151030_143411.jpg 20151030_143424.jpg 20151030_143508.jpg

Last edited:
Got my PAR 38 bulb attached to a swing arm desk lamp and some corals (Zoas, Trumpets, Zebra Shrooms). So far everything is opening up and happy.

20151105_163649.jpg 20151105_163701.jpg

Hey notice you mentioned a Tom aqualifter and timer for ato but I see a water bottle inverted. Curious how these two work together?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hey notice you mentioned a Tom aqualifter and timer for ato but I see a water bottle inverted. Curious how these two work together?

I replaced the TOM with the water bottle, so I am not using the aqualifter anymore. The bottle, though more archaic, is more accurate.

Back