Cali Kid Corals

Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies Invitation-Saturday, June 7th

They remind me of the crab we have in Vietnam. They are fresh water crab and they are about that big. They taste good too ;D ..

The plants in the other pic are for studying interactions of native and invasive marsh plants.

The outdoor tanks had some invasive clams.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3771.msg45036#msg45036 date=1212988452]
Steinhart won't let Phong volunteer because he keeps asking if the stuff is edible :D
[/quote]

Took my boy to Montery Bay Aquarium. When he saw the big Tuna, he said Sushi ;D ..

I wish I had time to go with you guys. Look like a great place. If the meeting isn't next week, I coulda go :( ..

That whole Tiburon area is really scenic. You should make a trip out there.

Monterey Bay Aquarium isn't a Chinese restaurant. Just because it's in a tank, doesn't mean you can have it for dinner :D

Did someone say sashimi????

2360604916_fc9b3a9c3c_o.jpg

Toro....yum...

Looks like a fun trip. Wish I could have gone but driving up to the city for Tiburon both days of the weekend wouldn't work with the current prices of gas nowadays. Went hiking and found some of these instead.

D2X_3137.jpg

So during the presentation, the topic about controlling for lighting intensity while varying temperatures came up.

Here's something interesting about how plants can moderate, at the molecular level, lighting effects on photosynthesis:

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/PBD-CP29.html

Wonder if that's something that happens in zooxanthellae too.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3771.msg45030#msg45030 date=1212987717]

For those who haven't met Jonathan yet, he is a BAR member from back in the Tropical Paradise(TP) days.

[/quote] Wouldn't that be BARE days then :)

Only 1 or two though :D Besides Steve's presentation I don't recall any others. The DIY build was else where even though it was during BAR TP times :)

Yeah the only one I actively remember at TP was the DIY controller talk that Andy did which quickly devolved into electronic geek talk, and seem to have a lot of merit just I couldn't wrap my mind around most of what was being said, and it never went anywhere with the club.

I have confirmed that they will be getting all the equipment from the Howard Street location; including a 20,000 tank! They are planning on setting up display tanks for the public.

Let me know if you are interested in helping out.

Best of luck,

Roy

[quote author=racrumrine link=topic=3771.msg44879#msg44879 date=1212806381]
Darn. My neck of the woods and thanks to little league baseball playoff games, I can't make it.

On another note, the Romberg center will be receiving a lot of equipment from the California Academy of Sciences. They are interested in setting up more cold water systems. If anyone is interested in participating in this project, let me know.

Regards,

Roy
[/quote]

Back