Our mission

RTNing

I am dealing with a RTN issue (yes Brian, it is still going) for the first time . I am interested to see what other people have found to start and/or drive this issue . I have had a pretty bomb proof tank until now . I have made some changes to my tank that may play into it , but I dont want to divulge them because I am not looking for guesses ( I am already making enough guesses for all of us ) . So far it has taken out some of the most hardy corals in the tank .

Waht do you guys think ?

What do your param's look like right now? (obvious first question) :D

One thing to also consider, IME RTN is infectious. Other coral in the immediate vicinity of the RTNing coral always seem to be the next to go. Once you see a coral RTNing, take it out frag and quarantine. This may help some of the spread of RTN.

I'm currently battling RTN for about a month now. I've been reading up on it and I've read it could be some kind of bacteria.

I increased the feeding of my tank starting late January because my clowns were spawning. I'm thinking that may have stressed the corals and made them susceptible to RTN.

I've decreased the feeding and increased the water changes, but it has not helped. Being busy with other things also has not help.

The cause/issue is one that no ones knows much about. Bacteria is one speculation. Another is ciliates. I doubt your extra feeding caused it.

my coral was stressed out for a bit but this all tarted afteer I fixed my issues . I have no way to quarintine and plan to keep doing water changes . This whiped out jeremys green milli in 24 hrs .

I was seeing people on Reef Central talking about their corals dying off and saying that it happened when they switched to different brand of salt and the problem stopped when they went back to their original brand. Anyone else ever heard of this?

I too am battling RTN. I've had this issue for about a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, too many recent changes, so I have no clue as to what might have started it. I've been doing 15% water changes every 3 days and I've added more carbon. Seems to have slowed down some, but I'm fragging and dipping all infected coral tonight just to be safe.

Tumbleweed said:
I was seeing people on Reef Central talking about their corals dying off and saying that it happened when they switched to different brand of salt and the problem stopped when they went back to their original brand. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Sure, but I am skeptical that its true.
That said, I always recommend changing salts slowly.

guihan said:
I too am battling RTN. I've had this issue for about a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, too many recent changes, so I have no clue as to what might have started it. I've been doing 15% water changes every 3 days and I've added more carbon. Seems to have slowed down some, but I'm fragging and dipping all infected coral tonight just to be safe.

15% is a small water change. I am talking 50% or more. If something is goofy, you gotta slap it! :D Of course, I think you need to mix, age, and heat the water for a day or two before you do it.

Thales said:
guihan said:

15% is a small water change. I am talking 50% or more. If something is goofy, you gotta slap it! :D Of course, I think you need to mix, age, and heat the water for a day or two before you do it.

Wow. 50% = 60+ gallons. I'll need a couple of trash cans to do that. :tired:

i am going to do 2 20 gal water changes tomorrow back to back . that's about 40% . I'm trying to figure out how to go bigger . I thing Ill have to get another brute can . This did start the day after switching to Aqua Vitro salt from Seachem . I know that I have NEVER had any problem with changing salt before .

Good thing I have new filters for the RO . Its gonna work like a mule .I have always been a fan of big water changes . How big is too big when doing water changes like this ? How many do you think it would take to do the trick ? Do you think letting the corals get exposed to air in the water change would help ? hurt ?

Damn I hate guessing ! J)

stop using the new salt,go back to the old salt u been using.something is not right with the new salt,RTN happen for a reason,some chemistry can't be measure with hobby test kit.i went thru before with oceanic salt.good luck bud.

lapsan

The new Salinity salt is very good IME/IMO and not different batch to batch like witnessed in other brands in the past. It seems to take a long time to mix, but the levels are very tight :)

Perry (vapormd) told me that seachem aquavitro also drops ORP when mixing initially (couple of hours). So definitely make sure you mix it a long time.

Sounds more like probe interference then performance issue with the salt :) Most people I've spoken with mix it for 24 hours.

I just mixed a batch of the new ESV and WoW

GreshamH said:
Sounds more like probe interference then performance issue with the salt :) Most people I've spoken with mix it for 24 hours.

I just mixed a batch of the new ESV and WoW

Yep, I've been doing 20 min or less mixes with no issues at all, that's going through at least 6 buckets already.

Back