High Tide Aquatics

Running vortech outside GFCI

So there was a power outage today while I was out. according to my timer around 10 am so 9 hours without power to the tank. Luckily we keep the heater on in the house so the tank didn't dip below 72. But Everything in the tank was pretty slimy due to lack of flow + My BTA frags were wiped out sans 1. Is it a good idea to run my vortech on a separate line directly to the wall to prevent this in the future? I figure the vortech is the best thing to run separately since all the electrical stuff is outside. Or Should I run it to my computer's UPS? The USP trips in case of a surge but unlike the inline GFCI it turns itself back on + it runs backup power.

current setup:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Untitled.png

I think it's a good idea to have the vortech on a battery backup in general.

Not sure about the GFCI question, I don't run my vortechs (or anything else *shhhh*) off GFCIs, but being as the Vortech's electrical parts are not in the tank, running them off of a GFCI isn't exactly an "unwise" thing.

If you already have a UPS, that could work, however if you have to buy a UPS, usually the battery backup from Icecap/Ecotech will be a cheaper route.

Back