Cali Kid Corals

Rusty Porites

I have 1 frag already to go but will make as many as folks want. This guy is high up in my tank but I haven't moved it around much to see if the color changes. I literally hacked a few chunks of and stuck them on a plug and they have already started to join and color back up. I even caught a zoa by mistake so I figured they were buddies and left it but it will eventually get overgrown if left for too long. This is hardy and grows fast for me so no need to worry about losing it, I can always make another one so new reefers are MORE than welcome.

Here is a pick of the colony
milligrn-copperdbtc3.jpg

Here is a pick of the 1 frag I already made, like I said it's starting to color back up and join.
Poritefrag1.jpg

Oh and the Zoa looked like a fire and ice when I got it but I think I have it too high so that may make it a little worth trying the prepped one?

I know the frag looks brown but I sware it's a rusty RED not brown ;D Throw a guy a bone :p

Just an interesting stat.... half the members that have a had a undesired DBTC..... are gone.
No pressure or anything :(

[size=15pt]SAFE A REEFER, TAKE HIS CORAL![/size]

LOL :)

DBTC Newbie edition: Corals that we are ok potentially losing due to newbie mistakes. Only requires paying forward 1 frag :)

Good point Tony. I made some updates to the main post.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3153.msg34618#msg34618 date=1203638147]
This is hardy and grows fast for me so no need to worry about losing it, I can always make another one so new reefers are MORE than welcome.[/quote]

The porites i have are real unpredictable...i bought a nice blue one for alot of $ that went pale turqoise on me, and a cheap pale yellow that turned out a neon green...a newbie might get a nice surprise as to what it turns out to...youll never know what colors come out in your own light...mine also has zoas growing off the base..its wierd, its like they come in pairs all the time..

[quote author=FinalPhaze987 link=topic=3153.msg34725#msg34725 date=1203716414]
The porites i have are real unpredictable...i bought a nice blue one for alot of $ that went pale turqoise on me, and a cheap pale yellow that turned out a neon green...a newbie might get a nice surprise as to what it turns out to...youll never know what colors come out in your own light...mine also has zoas growing off the base..its wierd, its like they come in pairs all the time.. [/quote]

So you are saying you want to see what this does in your tank right :) I'm up for seeing what yours does under my T5's so what are you waiting for, start a new DBTC ;D

Just for a little background, I got this from a local guy who had it under MH's (not sure what type) but it hasn't changed on me yet.

I'm not very familiar with porites, but that looks like some sort of "coral" I have seen that hosts a colony of brightly colored "feather dusters".

Actually the neon green one will be in DBTC..im waiting on some extended clippers so i can see what im clipping off, rather than going in there with a short pair and cutting a crooked piece. Ill let you know when im getting ready to post it..

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3153.msg34735#msg34735 date=1203720019]
I'm not very familiar with porites, but that looks like some sort of "coral" I have seen that hosts a colony of brightly colored "feather dusters".
[/quote]

"Christmas tree" rocks or corals are porites with a large population of worms..

[quote author=wakskat link=topic=3153.msg34760#msg34760 date=1203731090]
Are those the frags I gave you (idaho grape and DPV chalice) that I spy on your rack?

Mark[/quote]

Yep. That's one of the pieces of the idaho grape on a plug the 2 larger pieces are just kinda hanging out an I'm not sure where to mount them to let them grow out.

Back