Kessil

Ryan's 75G SPS

My passion with fish & aquarium start from 8 years old , back then I started to keep gold fish and tropical fish, but salt water has always been a dream, a dream not reachable. It became reality on March 2009, back then I made up my mind to purchase a whole 75G reef setup, I shall say since then my life has been changed, don't know it is for good or for bad.

The tank was on PC light, Maxijet, wet/dry filter and sea clone skimmer (I still have both if any of you want them, come and pick them up for free:)
IMG_2821_resize.JPG

Since I have never had any reef/saltwater experience when I bought the whole setup, the need to keep these beautiful marine life alive drove me crazy to obtain knowledge, I have read much more articles/posts than I did in colleague.

Gradually I start to fall in love with stony corals, from Oct 2009 I start the transit to SPS dominant tank, since then I took out more than half of rocks, changed all equipments except tank&stand, and of course bought a lot of frags, here are current FTS and some of coral shots. PLEASE PLEASE give some feedbacks and suggestions.

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6407_resize.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

Looking forward to reading about all the equipment upgrades. Very nice in under a year. Very nice period. Brilliant clam.

If you often here the music from the movie Jaws, it is a larger tank stalking you already.

Thank you all for nice words!!!

Here is tank profile:
75G with external overflow, 20L sump
Lighting: 2X 48" reefbrite 50/50 LED strip (24 X 3W LED underdriven at 2W on each strip) + 4X 54W T5 ( 2 ATI blue plus 2 ATI blue special)
Flow: 2X MP40W open at around 80% , Tunze return pump at around 400GPH to tank.
Supplement: ESV 2-parts via BRS dosers (Seems enough MG contained in ESV no need to supple MG)
Nutrient Import: feeding on heavy side 2 - 3 times a day mix of flakes/PE Mysis/Rod's food/RN Oyster Egg
Nutrient Export: i-Tech 200 cone on Tunze pump, daily dose few drops of MB7 just to help a bit on export, currently no carbon dosing
Heaters & 1/5 HP chillers & Apex lit controller
Parameters: CA 400, ALK 8.5 , MG 1300, SG 1.025 - 1.026, NO3 5PPM, PO4 0.03
Dosing: currently only 2 parts and few drops of MB7 daily, I am not aiming for ULN but I have a bottle carbon source (Brightwell biofuel) on hand just for in case nutrient level goes to roof, since I feed pretty the tank pretty heavy.

Any chance you have a pic of your lighting fixture and also a FTS with all your lights on? I was thinking about swapping 2 of my T5's for RB's. :)

yardartist said:
Looking forward to reading about all the equipment upgrades. Very nice in under a year. Very nice period. Brilliant clam.

If you often here the music from the movie Jaws, it is a larger tank stalking you already.

Thank you for the kind words!
In fact I have a 48" X 30" (W) X 20" (H) starphire rimless made by Miracle laying in my bro's place, it is just very hard to convience my wife to approve the move-in :-(

mpoletti said:
Good stuff Ryan and welcome.
Thank you Mark, I hope someday my SPS could look as half nice as yours.

sfboarders said:
Any chance you have a pic of your lighting fixture and also a FTS with all your lights on? I was thinking about swapping 2 of my T5's for RB's. :)
It is absolutely nice thing to mix some RBs to T5s, IMO combo of Blue LED/White LED (the RB white are pretty warm)/Blue plus T5/White (cold white) T5 are strong line up in terms of color spectrum, plus you get some shimming.

Below is FTS with all lights on, sorry for the blur picture still yet to figure out how to take good FTS. Picture does not look much brighter I guess this is due to camera. I take a picture on fixture when I take it out for clean next time. Basically I was able to use the hole which screw the leg of my TX5 for the one on front, the other one I just use aquarium silicon to glue the mounting bracket (which comes with reefbrite) to the acrylic cover in the place of 3nd T5, so the combo is RB + 2X T5 + RB + 2X T5, I like the combo very much.

IMG_6828.JPG

You SPS look especially healthy. The balance has to be just about perfect.
Doesn't look like this is YOUR first rodeo................LOL
Very nice set up.

Battling with red bugs, did 1/2 pill interceptor on Thursday. So far looking good, lost 2 hermit crabs. Herliquin, fire, cleaner shrimps are fine. I have not seen peppermint, they could be dead. Surprisingly I saw a living pod, these days pod are tough, I consider 1/2 (big pill) for 75G is quite big dose.

RL is one of few Acro turning better lately.

IMG_1870.JPG

Eddy, perculation, didn't lose his cleaners either...is that weird? I thought interceptor was supposed to wipe them out? Seems like his red bugs are gone tho!

Got a Canon T2i & played a bit on HD recording, sorry for the shaking from handhold & my bad camera skill.

[youtube]W2H2XOzbq2M[/youtube]

BTW is it possible to embed a video & how?

Back