Neptune Aquatics

Rygh's 250 gallon - rev.2

Well, my tank is not doing so great these days.
:(

The Majanos are winning. It is getting so badly infested.

Sorry to hear it. I have not had that problem (I have had enough other issues), but I did see one guy on another board tackle the problem with a unique solution. You can cut them out, but we know they grow back. Unless you cover the spot with some coralline-colored epoxy. It seems to seal in the manjano base and it simply dies. The colored epoxy keep the rocks from looking terrible while the corals grow over. Perhaps worth considering, given the other options...

That's too bad man. I like option 4 but I'm not the one doing the work. A variation of 3 could work too. Just mentally prepare yourself to the idea that none of your corals may survive. Then if any of them do it's even better.
Corals would be tricky.
Keeping them alive, but also making sure I do not transfer any Majanos.
The idea would be to frag them. Keep a few tips, frags, and pieces, carefully cleaned, and get rid of the rest.
Those small bits can easily be kept alive in my QT.

It is funny, I put in the extra tank Coral + FOWLR idea in as an afterthought, but it is really growing on me.
Especially since I have an automatic water exchange system.
If I had a 30G tank, and ran the water exchange through that, dumping into large tank, that would
be about 150% water change / month. Super clean water with no fancy equipment needed at all.

Then I could do all the fancy corals I want in one tank, yet have butterfly fish, triggers, large angels, and so on in the other.
Hmmmmm.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a trigger

ad020117f5f8df2953914c29616ec2eb.png

Clown trigger

9dc7bd71cd15fc980a67dbbd2ae6f1f8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Maui aquarium, they had an outdoor saltwater pond. The guide told me their humu nipped a piece of out some kid's finger. Probably thinking it was food.

At Maui aquarium, they had an outdoor saltwater pond. The guide told me their humu nipped a piece of out some kid's finger. Probably thinking it was food.
Oh? That's funny... I say this because while snorkling there I did have a Humu come really close to me, and I knew better than to get near it as I saw those two big teeth looking at me!

Hmm, but is that story true, or do they tell that to keep little kids from putting their fingers in the pond.

The latest plan is a combo.

Step 1: Build a new 40G shallow reef tank in the garage above my fuge.
This will eventually be for fancy SPS/Coral + 1 yellow tang only.

Step 2: Save what I want
Put coral I want to save into the future SPS tank temporarily.
Put fish I want to keep in some big water tank
Give away / Sell / Toss other livestock.

Step 3: Total tear down and rebuild.
Nuke the rocks and everything else to wipe out Majanos, Aptasia, etc.
Fix my overflows
Fix my lights in main tank
Buff out scratches in main tank

For the long term future, I would essentially then have a 4-tank setup!
Main display tank = Lots of Fish + Simpler corals and Anemones
Garage Fuge = Macros + Frags
Garage Shallow reef = Fancy corals
Garage QT tank now for both fish and coral.

Back