High Tide Aquatics

Sad Day :(

Apon

Supporting Member
Came home to find my 17 year old purple tang dead. Not sure if my 17 year old yellow tang finally won, but he was bigger than him for the last few years and they did fight now and then. I actually had them both from the start. Bought them both when they were like 2 inches each. Now the yellow is fat and about 6 to 7 inches big now. Not sure if I can introduce another purple tang in the 120......... Thoughts?

I am so sorry to hear about this sad day as I too had that happen to my favorite purple tang, I still miss that family member.:(

I'm so sorry. It's a hobby of loss, but some of them hurt a lot more than others.

As to your question I doubt that introducing another Purple will go well at this point.

That sucks. You found it dead in the tank or on the floor?

Purples and yellows have a hard time getting along. I don’t know that I’d try another. My whitetail bristletooth gets along fine with my yellow. If you do try another purple I’d have mirrors on hand to distract the yellow for a while.

I tip my hat off to you as a true aquarist who provide great care for the fish that probably beat the odds of survival, even in the wild. Most aquarists can't do this due to a lot of factors. Although sad, congrats!

Dang, very sad.
I know the feeling of becoming attached to fish that have been around a long time.

In my generally peaceful tank, the trouble is more when there are two fish about equal.
Otherwise it is just "Get out of my way"
That is not true of some aggressive fish that will pick on others endlessly, but I avoid those.

So a new small purple may not be a problem. It will learn its position way down in pecking order, and then all may be well.
Maybe... at least until it gets big.

my sympathies
my congratulations on the accomplishment
we know most aquarium fish are not so lucky
I have a 13 year old purple tang here
best fishes and happy reefing

my sympathies
my congratulations on the accomplishment
we know most aquarium fish are not so lucky
I have a 13 year old purple tang here
best fishes and happy reefing

Erin any thoughts about me introducing another tang or 2 back in the 120? Or do you think they will get killed by the existing Yellow? I was thinking about 2 small Purple and powder blue tang. Debating. Can't really redo rock work either.

Back