Kessil

Salifert Ammonia kit

Tip of the day: after using a salifert Ammonia test kit, use a paper towel or qtip to clean out the vial.

I've been trying to do a fish less cycle on my daughter's Betta cube and have been frustrated that the ammonia hasn't budged in weeks. I happened to pass the empty vial across light and realized that the reagent leaves an orange residue, which accounts for about half of the ammonia I've been seeing. Hahaha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I tired fishless cycles using Ammonia Chloride as my NH3 source. It turned out to be a bit tricky and actually got stuck once (I have done it three times now). Also, I did not have good results with the Salifert NH3 kit (but love most of their kits) so I used the API NH3 kit and it worked very well (the two were not in good agreement, but I don't know why). The cycles took a lot longer than I thought they would (8-12 weeks) even though I was using a Dr. Tim's one-and-only starter.

I tired fishless cycles using Ammonia Chloride as my NH3 source. It turned out to be a bit tricky and actually got stuck once (I have done it three times now). Also, I did not have good results with the Salifert NH3 kit (but love most of their kits) so I used the API NH3 kit and it worked very well (the two were not in good agreement, but I don't know why). The cycles took a lot longer than I thought they would (8-12 weeks) even though I was using a Dr. Tim's one-and-only starter.

My first attempt was to cycle diy live rock. It definitely worked and took about 3 weeks.

My recent attempt was with freshwater in a 2g Betta cube. That stalled horribly, but I think it's partly because I mistakenly used ro water. Apparently it doesn't cycle as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back